Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dagdagdag234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Then I went to Panera Bread, and I was psyched. They're on the apple pay list...

No dice. They aren't set up for it yet. The guy looked at me like I was crazy to ask -- "nooo, we don't have THAT yet."

I doubt this is what Apple had in mind.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Well these places are franchises, are they not? Much like McD's. Don't expect it all at once.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
You didn't make the mistake of asking "Do you take Apple Pay?" and took their word for it, did you?

Was this Panera Bread location listed in the MasterCard Nearby app?

Dandaman

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
soCal
Got to use it at Sprouts today. The cashier was excited to see it in action. The bagger was bummed that he missed it, it happened so quickly.

The CC terminal showed the apple pay logo, so I tried it out. Was quick and easy.

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
Got to use it at Sprouts today. The cashier was excited to see it in action. The bagger was bummed that he missed it, it happened so quickly.

The CC terminal showed the apple pay logo, so I tried it out. Was quick and easy.
Will the cashier be excited when someone uses google wallet to pay for their items?

shadowarachh

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
my brother's small auto accessory shop just had their CC terminal replaced last week and even it has it even though it wasn't expected or discussed with the service provider. you'd think that the bigger places would be more up to date.

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
A lot of chain retail shops aren't allowed to touch their technology until the company's technology team swings by and gets them up to compliance. This can take weeks in busy/understaffed settings.

jsd79

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2013
Apple Pay on my iPhone 6 has only worked 1/3 times I've tried it. Failed at both McDonalds and Subway (both times the phone screen said "hold closer to reader," when I had the phone physically touching the reader!). Success at my local Panera, but only on certain registers equipped for Apple Pay. Hopefully the success rate (even at official partner chains) will improve as they update their hardware.

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Apple Pay on my iPhone 6 has only worked 1/3 times I've tried it. Failed at both McDonalds and Subway (both times the phone screen said "hold closer to reader," when I had the phone physically touching the reader!). Success at my local Panera, but only on certain registers equipped for Apple Pay. Hopefully the success rate (even at official partner chains) will improve as they update their hardware.

I had the opposite experience at my local Subway. I eat there twice a week and ApplePay worked perfectly every time I used it. The cashiers are always impressed by it.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I used it three times yesterday... At whole foods, walgreens, and one other small store. It always works brilliantly! So quick and easy. I love it. I will say that I do have to purposefully pick places that have it. Clearly it isn't widespread yet but I figure that the more I use it and the more I don't shop where they don't have it... The better chance it has to grow. CVS sent me an email yesterday telling me to come in for my flu shot and get a coupon for shopping... So I shot off a quick e mail reminding them that I don't shop there since they don't have Apple Pay and that I got my flu shot yesterday morning at Walgreens and picked up a few needed items there.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

Sounds like you have defective NFC. Get it checked out. See https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1812628/

Last edited:

tritron

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2014
I can even signup for apple pay. None of my banks are on board with appple pay. American express did not work for me.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
Then I went to Panera Bread, and I was psyched. They're on the apple pay list...

No dice. They aren't set up for it yet. The guy looked at me like I was crazy to ask -- "nooo, we don't have THAT yet."

I doubt this is what Apple had in mind.
Did you ask if they had NFC? Because that will work just as well. Stop asking if they have Apple Pay, because you are just confusing them.

Cdre

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2014
I've caught myself wondering "where can I use Apple Pay next?" I've used it at Wholefoods and Walgreens so far, and the transaction has been smooth as butter. Especially at Walgreens where you pretty much have to write an essay on their PoS machine when paying with a card.

"Be well!" the cashier says, as I walk out with beer, pizza and a bag of chips...

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
It is gonna take some time for card readers to be updated, staff to be informed, etc. It is less than a month old, be patient.

Sonofjorel76

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
I don't know what's up with that.... I've been using Apple pay at Panera since the Oct. 20 release date. Ive used it at least 10 times since then

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I'm fortunate to live in the San Francisco / Bay Area where newer technologies like NFC are more widely adopted. Used Apple Pay three times yesterday (Peets coffee, Walgreens, Macy's). I'm hooked :)

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Agreed. My approach if I see an NFC reader is to have my iphone hanging out near it. If the phone lights up I try it. So far so good. Not worth even mentioning Apple Pay until you've successfully paid :)

I think the biggest mistake with apple pay is consumers using the term apple pay when checking out

tritron

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2014
I'm fortunate to live in the San Francisco / Bay Area where newer technologies like NFC are more widely adopted. Used Apple Pay three times yesterday (Peets coffee, Walgreens, Macy's). I'm hooked :)

DId you ever used softcard or google wallet ?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Agreed. My approach if I see an NFC reader is to have my iphone hanging out near it. If the phone lights up I try it. So far so good. Not worth even mentioning Apple Pay until you've successfully paid :)

While many terminals have the NFC continually on, some terminals require NFC to be activated from the cashier's pressing "credit." I make it a point to say "Credit" or "I'd like to pay with credit" upfront to be on the safe side.

But, yes, it's best to refrain from mentioning Apple Pay as that does more harm than good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.