Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
I'm looking at a bunch of different monitors to go with my 2014 rMBPP. I do mostly web design and coding, but also pick up the occasional print project. Here are the ones I'm considering:

• Apple Thunderbolt Display
  • NEC PA272W
  • NEC EA244UHD - because 4k would be sweet
  • Asus PA279Q

Any other suggestions? Which would you go with?

Last edited:

jdphoto

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
Unless you need really specific color for your print work, I would go with the Asus PA279Q. The Thunderbolt display is a bit to expensive for what you would get from it. You could go with the 4k option, but I'm not sure how the colors would look on that monitor.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
I do just fine with the 27" monitor that came with my iMac.

Best part ... it includes a computer.

:eek:

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
I'm looking at a bunch of different monitors to go with my 2014 rMBPP. I do mostly web design and coding, but also pick up the occasional print project. Here are the ones I'm considering:

• Apple Thunderbolt Display
  • NEC PA272W
  • NEC EA244UHD - because 4k would be sweet
  • Asus PA279Q

Any other suggestions? Which would you go with?
The dell u2713h is made for graphic workers I have heard
It has 10 bits and so but I am no expert

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I think of your list that the NEC is the "top" model.

Asus, Dell and a few others have some excellent models that while a bit less on the specs should make most folks happy for doing graphics. I would throw the Apple in at last place for price and performance. (the ports are nice but its about the display)

As for 4K, very sweet but you have to figure if you really get an advantage for the price. I have had Dells, HP's upper line, iMacs, Appl3 30" cinema and NEC. I'll say for my needs the NEC PA series is simply brilliant. The Dells while again less on the line with respect to specs, was a really excellent choice at a more user friendly price. For me, I'll always stick with the NEC's in the future unless they pull an Apple and keep the price high and castrate the offering (much like the Mac Mini).

FCM

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2015
Large touch screen monitors for Mac

Anyone know of a large touch screen monitor (36" to 46") that works with mac OS 10.9.5?

FCM

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
The dell u2713h is made for graphic workers I have heard
It has 10 bits and so but I am no expert

It's an old post, but I think it's important to correct this. 10 bits is not meaningful. 10 bit out requires support at several levels, including the operating system, the application level, and your graphics card. Apple has never supported this feature at the OS level. They have never developed or implemented gpu drivers in OSX with those features. The application developers can't even start to do so without the underlying details. As for 10 bit panels, NEC uses them in some of the PA displays. They might make some difference in gradation depending on how well it is implemented, but you won't have a real 10 -> 10 -> 10 bit path (application to framebuffer to display) per color channel.

That being said a display is only part of it. It's just that it can alleviate a lot of headaches, even for web work. A client's display may be off in any number of ways, and that may differ from client to client. Having some small measure of consistency with your own, as well as a display that has some support for tracking overall drift can be very helpful, even if it it doesn't represent a full solution to consistent color.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.