Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
Cheap or Inexpensive?

If this works, it appears to be a pretty nice looking keyboard for $20.

This will be one of the trio of primary interface devices that you use the most. Do you really want to scrimp on your monitor, mouse (pointing device), or keyboard?

I read a few of those reviews as well. They seem descriptive enough. If you want a Bluetooth keyboard that looks like the Apple Wireless Keyboard and do not require Apple quality then the Anker T300 might suit you. It does not however, deliver the full Apple keyboard function set or seem to have the authentic feel, look, or value of the genuine article.

One comment about those reviews on Amazon. Several of the writers mentioned that a positive feature of the Anker keyboard was the superior “value” of the product. Perhaps they used the wrong word. Those reviewers liked the $20 price of the keyboard. It has a - cost - advantage over other products including the Apple Bluetooth version. Despite the fact that many prefer not to pay $69 for the Apple keyboard, it has a much greater - value - than the inexpensive alternative.

I type. The feel of the keyboard that I use affects my accuracy, speed, and comfort as I type. A person who uses the hunt and peck technique might not be so particular. When I purchased a Mac, I splurged and chose the Apple wireless keyboard and the Magic Trackpad.

For me, the Apple keyboard works fine with no issues at all. The appearance, feel, and quality are flawless. Although I purchased the Magic Trackpad with the thought of swapping it for a mouse when necessary, I have never used a mouse with this Mac. Now there is no way I would give up the set of gestures that OS X offers to a trackpad user.

Even with a discount I paid plenty to get a Bluetooth keyboard made of aluminum and equipped with authentic “chiclet” keys. The same cost got me a square chunk of aluminum and glass.

For me these controls were worth the cost but others will have their own opinions. A few forum users seem to scorn the Apple keyboards. I suggest that you read more Ankar reviews and then read some for the Apple Wireless Keyboard as well. ;)

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
This will be one of the trio of primary interface devices that you use the most. Do you really want to scrimp on your monitor, mouse (pointing device), or keyboard?..... but others will have their own opinions.

A whole lot of your opinion doesn't in the slightest answer the OP's question.

My opinion at least is based on my experience with the several other Anker products (USB3 hubs, External Batteries, USB power adapters, tablet stands). I have been pleased with the quality of every one of them. If other reviewers, who actually have the product place "superior value" high as a descriptive, I'd believe they have superior value. :D

heckofagator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I might have clarified - this mac mini isn't a PC that will get used all that often. I have my primary windows PC that I use in my office. The new 2012 Mac Mini is our first Apple PC and will be in a side room that we don't use very often. Its more like an overflow device, if the laptop is taken and someone else needs another computer. Also bought it for the boys to learn OSX on.

Not that all that matters. I still want something nice. But I don't normally spend $70 on keyboards for myself, so for this device, I really didn't want to either. I missed a guy selling the Apply keyboard and Magic mouse for $50 "like new" on craigslist the other day. I knew I shouldn't have waited....

I hear you though - I'm sure there's no substitution for the real thing,

Last edited:

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
A whole lot of your opinion doesn't in the slightest answer the OP's question.

Yes that is true TPadden, I did include a lot of other stuff in that post. My reason for the extra material was founded in an attempt to call attention to what I perceived to be a flawed system for choosing components. That is why I suggested that the OP do more research.

Choosing a replica version based on looks and a low initial cost could be a bad move. It seems that the OP recognized that possibility when heckofagator lamented missing out on the $50 keyboard/mouse deal on Craigslist.

You did not respond to the choice of a $25 each deal for a pair of the genuine Apple items TPadden. Does your experience with the Ankar components incline you to recommend a new Ankar keyboard over a used Apple component? :confused:

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Yes that is true TPadden, I did include a lot of other stuff in that post. ....Does your experience with the Ankar components incline you to recommend a new Ankar keyboard over a used Apple component?

My response was to you, not the OP. I don't make recommendations on equipment I don't actually own or use based on my feelings of what I feel others should value. If I ever get one of the Anker keyboards I'll be happy to make that recommendation. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.