Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roninmedia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2014
I'm a pharmacist so I will spend a fair amount of time reading on new drugs, clinical trials. Outside work, I read a large amount of manga and Japanese light novels.

In addition to the Air 1 or Air 2, what would be considered enough of a price difference between the two devices at 64GB that would make the Air 1 the better buy? Asking for opinion because my local staples has the 64GB Air 1 @ $425.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
If you want to just save money the air 1 is great but if you honestly thinking you'll keep it for years get the air 2. You'll own a air 2 longer then an air 1 probably since you'll upgrade earlier since it should be upgraded sooner imo

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
If you can get an iPad Air 1 that's still on iOS 7.1.2 you will have as smooth an iPad experience as you can find.

iOS 8.1's bugs and unoptimised code make the iPad Air (in fact most iOS devices) stutter or stammer in places.

Having returned my iOS 8 iPad Air, owned since July, and gotten it swapped for an iPad Air running iOS 7.1.2 I stand by my view that it remains the finest example of an iPad on iOS in terms of out and out UI speed and smoothness.

I've ran my iPad Air on 7.1.2 beside an iPad Air
2 on iOS 8.1 and there is nothing between them in UI operation/animations. Identical, except on iOS 7.1.2 there's no bugs and no gestures unexpectedly quitting on you. It's just a joy to use.

If you want longevity however, consider the iPad Air 2. The tri core CPU and 2GB of RAM should see it perform smoothly and quickly for another good few updates. Unless of course Apple make a balls up of iOS 9 and 10 the way they have iOS 8.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I don't seem to experience any of those issues with my iPad Air 2. Although I don't do much on it other than Safari web browsing. It's great for me. I say Air 2

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
iPad Air 2 - if money is zero problem

iPad Air 1 - for incredibly good priced used and new (occasionally)

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
You asked: what would be considered enough of a price difference between the two devices at 64GB that would make the Air 1 the better buy? My answer is: It depends. I think the $115 difference between the 64GB Air 1 and Air 2 is enough of a difference to go with the Air 1.....depending on your intended use if the iPad and how long you plan to keep it. See below.

$425 for 64GB Air 1 is a fantastic deal. However, using the Best Buy 10% movers coupon, you could get $60 off the price of a 64 GB Air 2. So the price difference is really only $115 between the 64GB Air 1 and Air 2. Not a lot really!

If you don't use the iPad for heavy lifting, either will do just fine at least until the next major I OS update. If you plan on holding the iPad longer than a year, I'd recommend the Air 2 unless the extra $115 is an issue. It's more future proof. However, if you plan to trade up to the Air 3 next year, and don't use the iPad for heavy lifting, I'd probably take the deal on the Air 1. At that price, you're not going to lose a lot when you sell it. This is the option I chose. I don't use my iPad for heavy lifting and I plan to trade up to the Air 3 next year. I took a similar deal on a new Air 1 32GB wifi ($399 @ Microcenter). The Staples deal is even sweeter!

Last edited:

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
I'm a pharmacist so I will spend a fair amount of time reading on new drugs, clinical trials. Outside work, I read a large amount of manga and Japanese light novels.

In addition to the Air 1 or Air 2, what would be considered enough of a price difference between the two devices at 64GB that would make the Air 1 the better buy? Asking for opinion because my local staples has the 64GB Air 1 @ $425.

I would go with the Air 2. The 2GB of RAM and 3 cores may not make a difference today, but if Apple ever adds multitasking, the Air 2 will have significantly improved performance. The screen on the Air 2 is improved as well.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA

Go for the Air 2, use the movers coupon at best buy and its about $115 dollars difference for the Air 2, and with you being a pharmacist, I'd bet the difference wouldn't be a problem. Either way, both are great choices but why step a year back if you can afford not to.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
With Apple products it's always smart to buy at the beginning of the life cycle. Air 2 is a big upgrade, and an excellent place to start.

jks2014

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
get air 2 if you have the money,
2gb ram will help a lot when you are doing some read up...
i have used iPad to read pdf files,
sometimes, reloading of safari tabs or other apps can take a pretty long time:(
time is money which you can't buy:cool:

I have faith in apple to release updated version iOS to correct current software bugs soon.

Last edited:

ApplePhy

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2013
Only you can answer this very personal question!

$175 difference might be negligible to you, but significant for someone else.

No question the Air2 is Apple's best tablet. Period. In every regard.

You have to factor in the BB mover's coupon as well. Now, the difference is even less.

I was holding off from upgrading to the Air2 (fro the Air1), but finally just did it last week. I'm a happy camper. I LOVE the Air2.

midwestfisherma

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
S.E. Mich
If you can get an iPad Air 1 that's still on iOS 7.1.2 you will have as smooth an iPad experience as you can find.

iOS 8.1's bugs and unoptimised code make the iPad Air (in fact most iOS devices) stutter or stammer in places.

Having returned my iOS 8 iPad Air, owned since July, and gotten it swapped for an iPad Air running iOS 7.1.2 I stand by my view that it remains the finest example of an iPad on iOS in terms of out and out UI speed and smoothness.

I've ran my iPad Air on 7.1.2 beside an iPad Air
2 on iOS 8.1 and there is nothing between them in UI operation/animations. Identical, except on iOS 7.1.2 there's no bugs and no gestures unexpectedly quitting on you. It's just a joy to use.

If you want longevity however, consider the iPad Air 2. The tri core CPU and 2GB of RAM should see it perform smoothly and quickly for another good few updates. Unless of course Apple make a balls up of iOS 9 and 10 the way they have iOS 8.

I couldn't disagree more. My Air 2 is running 8.1 and I've no issues to deal with. The performance of the hardware is excellent and iOS 8.1 is fine.

roninmedia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2014
Best Buy's Black Friday has me sold on the iPad Air 2.

64 GB iPad Air 2
$599
-$100 Off from Discount
-$145 in Best Buy Gift cards
-10% from Shop Discover
+ Sales Tax
--------------------------------
$319.67 :)

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
Been using both since Saturday and if you can live with the vibration issue, the Air 2 is a much better device.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Best Buy's Black Friday has me sold on the iPad Air 2.

64 GB iPad Air 2
$599
-$100 Off from Discount
-$145 in Best Buy Gift cards
-10% from Shop Discover
+ Sales Tax
--------------------------------
$319.67 :)

Don't forget the BB 10% movers coupon which can be found at most US Post Office locations.

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
Go with Air 2. You will be more happy. Beside, BestBuy is having $100 off on all Air 2 model.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
If you're going to be reading with bright lights overhead, I'd get the Air2. The lower reflectivity screen will be much nicer. You'll one day forget all about the money you saved and wish the screen wasn't reflecting the lights into your eyes if you cheap out.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Air 2 if possible. Always try to get the latest. Especially when you can't upgrade any of the components after the fact. If you can't afford it, don't want it, etc. then obviously don't.

teemu01

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2014
I'm also a first time buyer. I could get an

iPad Air 16gb for 249 € ($ 310) or
an Air 2 64gb for 584 € ($ 730).

I'm wondering which one to take. Is the 16GB going to feel too small immediately? I'm going to buy iPad mainly for studying purposes. The money is an issue since I'm a student, but I want to make the right decision.

Air 2 has way more power and more storage space, so is it going to be a lot more future-proof?

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I'd go with the Air 2 just because it will be supported for longer, with the A8x and 2GB of RAM.

I still have an Air as well, and picking it up after using the Air 2 for a while is a bit of a shocker, the difference in thickness is definitely noticeable. Also there is a noticeable "tapping" noise when touching the screen on the Air that is much reduced on the Air 2.

Though I do miss the physical mute switch...that is my only complaint with the Air 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.