Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ONIKAMARAJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
My iPhone 5C keeps losing signal and saying "searching" and then I have zero bars at random times even inside my house, or "No Sim Card installed" then it starts working. And at the most random times (mostly when I'm out and about) it says "Activation Required" and I can't use my iPhone until I activate it. Where it says "Use Cellular Connection" I click that but it always say Cellular Data is not working. It's really annoying. This didn't start happening until I updated to iOS8. Please help.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
My iPhone 5C keeps losing signal and saying "searching" and then I have zero bars at random times even inside my house, or "No Sim Card installed" then it starts working. And at the most random times (mostly when I'm out and about) it says "Activation Required" and I can't use my iPhone until I activate it. Where it says "Use Cellular Connection" I click that but it always say Cellular Data is not working. It's really annoying. This didn't start happening until I updated to iOS8. Please help.

Where did you purchase the phone from? Was it second hand?

If you bought it first hand, it's likely a fault with the modem.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I agree that the modem/baseband is starting to fail. I suggest getting it replaced as soon as possible. Once the baseband does completely fail, you won't be able to restore it, use any cellular service, or GPS/GLONASS.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Since you bought it new, it comes with a one year warranty from Apple. You will get it replaced for free.

Yep in that case pop into an Apple store and you'll walk out with a new phone, no questions I'd imagine! :)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I had a 5S do this as well. It gave error -3 when trying to restore. Never got wet.

Oh, probably a different hardware issue then.
I had a friend that dropped it in the toilet while peeing:D
He took it out quickly but since then he was having the same behavior as the OP's above.
He was pissed, and so was the phone:D

ONIKAMARAJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
oh, probably a different hardware issue then.
I had a friend that dropped it in the toilet while peeing:d
he took it out quickly but since then he was having the same behavior as the op's above.
He was pissed, and so was the phone:d

lol. :D

Last edited:

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Could also be a SIM card / SIM card sensor issue....just had someone over on another forum have a similar issue and it turned out the SIM card sensor went bad. Also have had similar issues with my 5c when I took the SIM card out and put it back in.

Delmar

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
Texas
Oh, probably a different hardware issue then.
I had a friend that dropped it in the toilet while peeing:D
He took it out quickly but since then he was having the same behavior as the OP's above.
He was pissed, and so was the phone:D

Priceless :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.