Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Recently got an offer to trade my Quad G5 for a Mac Pro 2006. The only thing is the person trading says 4 of the 8 memory slots aren't functional and he can give me the cpus to upgrade it to 2.66ghz. Worth it?

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
I'd say do it if the rest of the Mac is sound. You'll get much more out of the Mac Pro than you will the G5 just by virtue of the available software. That comes down to your needs though--what do you use your Mac for?

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
Are there any possibilities to screw up in memory installation? If it would be user error that would be a great deal.. dust or dirt in memory slots?

Mac Pro is of course far more powerful and supports much more software, also the G5 is so old and it could also fail anytime soon and very often it is the cooling system which fails destroying critical components so even though the Mac Pro maybe has some soft of failure who knows which machine remains usable longer time.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
As for my uses I collect/buy/sell macs so this would be the first mac pro I would have owned. The guy who I'd trade with is very much capable when it comes to macs so I doubt its an easy fix.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
He told me he's tried swapping it out, troubleshooted it and nothing. I'm a bit hesitant as my quad works perfectly but always wanted a pro. Maybe I'll just wait for another opportunity.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I wouldn't trade my quad for an 06 Mac Pro. They really have dropped in value since Lion is the last OS they officially support, and they can be picked up fairly cheap all day long. I especially wouldn't do it for one that could have a failing logicboard. Hardware failure in a 2006 box vs your G5 which is only a few months older really is just as likely at this point. I still use my quad G5 as my main setup, and have been tempted to get an 06 or 07 Pro to replace it, but I think the G5 is actually a higher valued machine at this point, and if I were to upgrade to a Mac Pro, it would have to be at least a 2008.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
It sounds kinda of tempting, but ill still hold down to the Quad. Further the Mac Pro is still an early model, with defects, which may get worse.

While your Quad is running fine. If u happen to make the swap and something awful does happen to the Mac Pro.....ull be cursing!

I once had an offer for my G5 2.0 DP, double the sum which i bought it for, but just couldnt let it go, now i am happy that i made the decision!

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Texted the guy I trade/sell to, told him I'd need a fully functional machine. Appreciate all the help guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.