Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
I'm the Webmaster (lol) at my FBLA chapter.

I was given a task of "making a website to your represent your local town or a fictional town in the best light possible".

www.alexwait.com/NortonvilleandWinchester

For many weeks now, I have worked on that website. Until a few weeks ago, it was all at school. But lately to meet the deadline of March 1st, I've been putting in some hours at home too. :trockon:

I started the website with only knowledge of how to use HTML and a little
CSS. I've learned a whole lot that I will take with my in the future. Just an FYI. The whole website was hand coded in Text Wrangler and all effects were created by myself. (The "ticker" on the first page, and the drop down menus).

So.. is it good?
I've tried very hard.

Suggestions are welcome, but I only till the end of the week to make any corrections.

Thanks!

Chubypig

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2004
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the color scheme, but since i have no idea how to design a website, i respect your hard work.

L

Lau

I'm still having problems with your site as I said in one of your last threads.

See the attachment. There's no way I can read the text at 1048x768 resolution, even if I drag my window full size. :(

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 138

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
OK, you asked for suggestions, so I'll be honest.

Colors a a bit blah, the rollover text that appears on the main page takes WAY too long to type out, if an image could appear representing the buttion instead of the text it would liven up the colors and not be so irritating waiting for the text. On the couple pages that I visited, the formating was off, ie things weren't lined up, too much white space in between information.

I actually don't think it would take much time to fix. Especially if you use dreamweaver or something like it. Great first run, good luck with it.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
I see now the errors your guys are getting.
I didn't at first.

Drat.

Oh well. More fun to be had I guess... ;)

I'll speed up the text output speed. One sec fix.

In my eyes, it was plenty fast... but I'm not the only looking at it.

When I resize me window, the text disappears into the side columns.

I'll make the text a little bigger...

It's ok on my screen, and I have a larger res that you. :confused:

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
I have the widths of the containter that holds all of the actual info "centered"

with CSS and I can't take out that part, or it won't look good ever...

Any ideas?

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Wow much better! And I'd like to thank you for taking advice the way it was meant (not to be mean) so many people get mad too easily. I noticed that the roll over purple bars do not appear when rolling over all the links. (top of the page roll over the links that appear the purple background isn't there for all of them).

Other than that, the first page is a bit plain for my tastes but good job.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Thanks so much!

I have moved the page up a little bit. So now there's less whitespace.

And it looks much better.

But is it too close? Suggestions are welcome.

The only problems I have doing websites is the "arty" stuff. I can make it work "technically." I would be so much happier having somebody come up with the "arty" stuff and leaving me to make it look good on a real webpage.

Oh well. Maybe after college.

EDIT:
Is the text on the first page moving too slow? On my computer's it like typing out a million
miles an hour.

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
bobber205 said:
Thanks so much!

I have moved the page up a little bit. So now there's less whitespace.

And it looks much better.

But is it too close? Suggestions are welcome.

The only problems I have doing websites is the "arty" stuff. I can make it work "technically." I would be so much happier having somebody come up with the "arty" stuff and leaving me to make it look good on a real webpage.

Oh well. Maybe after college.

EDIT:
Is the text on the first page moving too slow? On my computer's it like typing out a million
miles an hour.

Nah, the text is fine now, maybe the font could use some tinkering but otherwise good. I'm the total opposite of you, I like the arty stuff more than the tech side, I can do the tech stuff (enough to get by and make money designing websites) but I love to make icons, graphics etc. If I could only learn to make a simple form...
:rolleyes:

good luck

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
I knew there was people like you.
All I need is to hook up with somebody like you! ;)

I do have a question.

When the user's window is not big enough for the containter that has all the info, the gradients on the side cut it off.

I can have the container go above the side graidents if it's too big.

Here's my question. I have thought about hiding the gradients completely when the window is below a certain width.... probably 500 or so.

Is that too hackish? Or should I do whatever works?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Its ok - but it needs some work.

Its a town website, so why aren't there pics of the town on the front page? I'm sure you could come up with something suitably interesting and avoid having to have the diagonal menu thingy down the middle of the screen.

From a usability stand point, that's not the best approach.

Do you plan on updating it any time soon?

D

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
I know the diagonal approach is very usable. However it is meant to be just a "visit once" intro page. The drop down menus system is what is primarly used to navigate through the site.

The site is due next Tuesday.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.