Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Hello everyone. I have an iPhone 4S with iOS 8.1. Overall I'm happy with it, speed is still good and I find it to be nice and smooth still.
BUT...... I Have one issue: battery. I checked one day when I was at 30% or so, and I had around 3 hours of usage. Is this normal? It seems the battery is always dying! And also I have replaced the battery: just a few month ago so it Is nice and new. Another example, today I was fully charged, and by around 1:00 pm (I turned it one around 7am) I was at 57%. And I had around 1.5 hours of usage. Is this normal, maybe i'm over-exaggerating but it just doesn't feel normal to me.
Also how do I calibrate the battery? I've let it die and then charged it to 100%, but not sure if this is the correct way to calibrate.
Thanks

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
How many years did you have it?
Maybe the battery has degraded and does not hold charge the way it used to.

It was originally bought in 2012 ; but like I said the battery was replaced a few months ago.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Repair shop in TN; I was on vacation and had to have it done cause the battery was really bad.

Sad to say but often times these repair shops will use lower quality batteries, or sometimes even used batteries for replacements. I'd likely get in touch with the shop as clearly it's an issue with the battery they gave you.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Sad to say but often times these repair shops will use lower quality batteries, or sometimes even used batteries for replacements. I'd likely get in touch with the shop as clearly it's an issue with the battery they gave you.

Hmmm, well I guess I could try to contact them but it might be tricky considering I'm in FL. Worth a shot though.

ifanme

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2014
macforums
The device battery isn't that bad as you've mentioned. My dad has a same device but the battery duration is almost a day with normal usage.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
The device battery isn't that bad as you've mentioned. My dad has a same device but the battery duration is almost a day with normal usage.

So what should I do: take it to the :apple:Store and have the battery looked at?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So what should I do: take it to the :apple:Store and have the battery looked at?

Perhaps, although I'm not sure what they'll do service-wise when they see the battery was not replaced by them.

Hopefully they would just allow you to pay for a battery replacement there.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
The only one authorized to make repairs is Apple themselves.
You said you used a 3rd party repair shop in TN right?

Yep. But aren't there officially authorized service providers? When I talked to AppleCare they said that there were some repair shops officially authorized by Apple

aballar5

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2014
Airplane mode, more storage or reduce brightness

HI,

If you are doing something such as filming or take photos and not need internet or reception, putting it on airplane mode or turning off your wifi will reduce your battery consumption considerably.

The number of apps and/or amount of storage space drains the battery life. If you delete unnecessary or rarely used apps; and/or make more unused space on your phone, you have longer lasting battery life.

Brightness also uses more battery so reducing it will provide longer battery life.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.