Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacM4ODA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Arizona
i done a search but found no reference to my plight, my Mac is running slow, is there a function to dump the junk and get my HD working faster ?

regards,
MacM

PixelpusherBV

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2013
Harwich, UK
What mac do you have? Is the slow down recent or been getting slower over a long period of time? Describe what is happening when slow. How much space is left on your drive? Is it the original drive? Can help you better if you can answer these questions:)

MacM4ODA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Arizona
What mac do you have?

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 3 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03

Is the slow down recent or been getting slower over a long period of time?

gradually over time.

Describe what is happening when slow.

sometimes i get a hesitation of about one second when starting a new paragraph, or in this case as you see above, i'll get the spinning beach ball a few seconds when i have 5 or 6 windows open then the selected page opens

how much space is left on your drive?

capacity: 499.76 GB
Available: 464.12

Is it the original drive?
no

Can help you better if you can answer these questions:)

does this help ?

sharon22

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Try disabling Spotlight.

Go into System Preferences, click on Spotlight, then click on the Privacy Tab.

Drag your entire Hard Drive icon straight into the big Privacy Window.

Come back to the forum and post whether or not this QUADRUPLED the speed of your computer!

[edit: a minute later] Some notes: if your speed didn't all of a sudden get lightning fast, then simply remove your hard drive from the privacy window (it's easy -- just click the hard drive icon in the privacy window, then click the "minus" sign below it).

Also, LOTS of people will say *exactly* what you have said, "My compter's gotten slow, I want to remove/delete some stuff to speed it back up again."

This is a total misnomer (wrong word, I'm trying to think of the word that's like "Old Wives' Tale"). But deleting files will NOTTTTTTTTTT (emphasis) speed up your computer. This comes from the old days when hard drives were only big enough to hold one document! One photo, and FULL! And the computer had to do all kinds of antics to work around this totally full disk. Nowadays, things don't work that way.

What causes slowness is your processor trying to keep up with something. And for a Mac's processor to be "trying to be keeping up with something" usually means you got a whole bunch of stuff going on in the background that you don't want and/or don't know about.

That's why we go into Applications/Utilities and fire up the application called, "Activity Monitor." Totally play around with Activity Monitor for a couple hours, and you will have a REAL GOOD idea what is slowing your computer down. Also, while you're in Utilities, fire up "Console." Make sure Console is set to display ALL messages.

This is so important I'm going to repeat it again:
Also, while you're in Utilities, fire up "Console." Make sure Console is set to display ALL messages.

The VERY SECOND you get a spinning Beach Ball, look at Console -- it WILL tell you what is happening.

That's really cool because the old days of "guesswork" are long gone. You can be watching Activity Monitor and Console, and know exactly what is happening, whether you need more ram, or what programs are hogging up resources, etc., etc., and.... who knows, maybe you DID fill up your hard drive with 25,000,000 photos from Disneyland or whatnot. Point is, you'll find out.

But first, simply disable Spotlight and see if that helps! If it does (or doesn't), please post back, and I'll tell you what to do next!

P.S. OMG OMG guess what! guess what! YOUR computer is the SAME as mine!!!!! The 2.4ghz intel core duo mid-2007 iMac! And lemme tell ya, my iMac SAILS!!! It is REALLY, REALLY FAST! I will help you make your computer as fast as mine! Now I'm almost certain it's Spotlight!

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
i done a search but found no reference to my plight, my Mac is running slow, is there a function to dump the junk and get my HD working faster ?
Having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

If you're having performance issues, this may help:
There is absolutely no need to disable Spotlight, as one poster suggested. Unless it's in the process of initial indexing, Spotlight will not make a noticeable impact on performance. Disabling functionality built into OS X is not the solution. Discovering the real source of the problem through responsible troubleshooting is a more prudent approach.

sharon22

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
There is absolutely no need to disable Spotlight, as one poster suggested.
Actually, I want the original poster (MacM4ODA) to disable spotlight.

They have the exact same machine as me.

So, MacM4ODA, please disable spotlight.

As I said before, if your performance shoots through the roof, and it feels like you now have a blazing fast, brand new mac, then post back and I'll walk you through some stuff.

If your performance does NOT shoot through the roof (i.e. no noticeable difference after disabling Spotlight), then go ahead and re-enable Spotlight (as I explained), and, still, post back to the forum.

Thank you.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Actually, I want the original poster (MacM4ODA) to disable spotlight.
That's because you're offering advice without understanding what you're talking about, as you have done in several threads. I recommend you learn basic troubleshooting and get some facts to avoid posting misinformation in forums.

sharon22

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
GGstudios, I know you are well-intentioned, but please do not presume to know what I am thinking, or what my capabilities are. I can fix your mac, and the OP's mac, blindfolded, no matter what the problems are. If you don't like my methods, you are certainly welcome to post alternative suggestions. But don't follow me around and tell others how "useless" my suggestions are.

I am trying to be amicable, here, and at the same time, to make a point.

To clarify my point.

Let's say the original poster disables Spotlight as I suggested. And let's say their computer now runs blazingly fast, and they post back, "Yes, I disabled Spotlight, and now my computer is fast." My response would be, "Yes, that is exactly the same thing that happened with my computer. Now you have a decision: live without spotlight, or re-enable spotlight and lets see what else we can do to make your computer run faster *even though* you have chosen to keep spotlight on."

Your suggestion, for the OP to go visit another page on Performance tips is fine. But for you to take the time and trouble to "put down" my suggestion (here, as well as elsewhere you have been following me) is, frankly, annoying. Particularly the words you used, "...without understanding what you're talking about."

How absolutely rude of you. You have no clue how deep my knowledge is of Macs. Like I said, there has *never* been any mac I could not fix.

But, I'm not here to try and make you feel bad. No, I believe this forum is a place where we can get different input from different people. So I welcome your suggestions, I feel there is always new stuff for us *all* to learn. Rather than being very, very close-minded, please open your mind, just a little, and let's see what the OP has to say.

Thank you.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I can fix your mac, and the OP's mac, blindfolded, no matter what the problems are.
Not if you don't know how to properly troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, instead of throwing out "try this" and "try that" without understanding how such recommendations may or may not affect the issues.
But don't follow me around and tell others how "useless" my suggestions are.
I'm not "following" anyone. I'm doing what I've done for over 6 years: helping posters in this forum and dispelling misinformation.
Your suggestion, for the OP to go visit another page on Performance tips is fine.
Those performance tips were compiled over years of answering thousands of questions like the OP's.
But for you to take the time and trouble to "put down" my suggestion (here, as well as elsewhere you have been following me) is, frankly, annoying.
Annoying as it may be to you, the OP and other readers of these threads deserve to be warned about misinformation. The suggested action is unnecessary and not the way to solve the OP's problem.
Particularly the words you used, "...without understanding what you're talking about."

How absolutely rude of you. You have no clue how deep my knowledge is of Macs. Like I said, there has *never* been any mac I could not fix.
I can only go by the evidence presented in your posts, which clearly indicate a lack of understanding about the issues being presented and reasonable troubleshooting steps to solve them. If you know better, your posts don't show it.

sharon22

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
@GGJstudios, you are welcome to make comments and/or suggestions to anyone you wish. If I make an incorrect statement, you are welcome to point out that which is incorrect.

However, you cross the line when you make personal insults, as that violates the Terms of Service that you agreed to when you became a member of this forum. Even though you have posted here, a lot.

Once again, if I state something incorrect, then *specifically* state what part is incorrect.

Blanket rude comments that you have made, well, all they do is show you have a grudge, a chip on your shoulder, or, maybe my posts are actually interesting.

On a final note, a little story of two dads.

Dad #1
Son: Dad, will you teach me how to catch a fish?
Dad: Well, son, glad you asked, you want to get a long fishing pole, about this size, you want to make sure to use this kind of bait. Here's a story about the wrong kind of bait to use...story... now, you stand here and hold the fishing pole like this, and you cast it this way. Now you patiently wait and watch. When the fishing line wiggles, you know you caught something....etc.
Son: Gee Dad, thanks, and thanks for the neat story. Now I can try to fish, and use what you've showed me to catch all kinds of fish. Thank you!

Dad #2
Son: Dad, will you teach me how to catch a fish?
Dad: Please refer to http://www.blahblahblah.com
Son: Um, errrr... okay. thanks.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
does this help ?

sometimes i get a hesitation of about one second when starting a new paragraph, or in this case as you see above, i'll get the spinning beach ball a few seconds when i have 5 or 6 windows open then the selected page opens

Can you think of anything you changed or added (hardware or software) that started this, or did it just start all on its own?

Is it always like this, or does it come and go?

It does sound a lot like the symptoms you usually see when a hard drive is about to die. If you don't have a good backup already, not would be a good time to do that.

Try this... run the app Etrecheck and post up the results so we can take a look. It does a scan of what is running on your system and creates an anonymized report you can post here for us to look at.

MacM4ODA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Arizona
Sharon and GGJ, please do not get in a pizzing contest, i believe you both have some good info/advice, so i will take it one step at a time.., OK ?

i believe i have disabled spotlight.., i never liked it any way, sorry for the slow return to this forum, it seems the uuuuh, daily crap gets piled too high at times and for me right now the crap is quite high.

i'll try to get back here in a day or two and let you all know the results of disabling S.L.

OK ? now STOP the "squabbling", be nice, "the world loves a lover" !

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Disabling spotlight will help - but blazing increase in performance after doing it? Not happening, maybe 10% at best.

Only way I can truly call a blazing increase of a 2007 performance is to remove the HDD and go SSD and fit 4gb or even 6gb of ram, though the single 4gig module to go to 6gb is expensive. A perfect time while the drive is being changed to clear out the cooling system of all the dust..

They boot Mavericks in 25 seconds which is pretty superb and blazing for an old Macintosh!

MacM4ODA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Arizona
i found another answer to my problems, a friend of mine, who's son is a computer expert says, "replace your modem" !!

mine is a "Q-West" supplied modem, he says company supplied modems are just one point above that of pure junk.

sooooooo !!

when i go shopping for a new modem, are there any that is the "BEST" or better than what i have now ? my son recommends a "wireless" or "WiFi" is wifi the same as wireless ?

i sometime think i am about 20 years behind the curve...., ;)

:apple:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
i disabled SL, seems a bit faster, still get the rolling beach ball but not as often nor does it last as long.

do these sites give a person true results and can they really "Clean Your Mac"

http://www.speedtest.net/

That is a good site to test your Internet speed, but it won't do anything to troubleshoot your overall system slowness/beachballing.

i found another answer to my problems, a friend of mine, who's son is a computer expert says, "replace your modem" !!

mine is a "Q-West" supplied modem, he says company supplied modems are just one point above that of pure junk.

sooooooo !!

when i go shopping for a new modem, are there any that is the "BEST" or better than what i have now ? my son recommends a "wireless" or "WiFi" is wifi the same as wireless ?

i sometime think i am about 20 years behind the curve...., ;)

:apple:

A new modem is not going to fix the issues you are having. If your Internet speed is not at the speed you are paying for, a better modem may help.

Sounds like you have CenturyLink DSL?

http://internethelp.centurylink.com/internethelp/modems.html

Here is a list of their approved modems. Looks like most of them do include wireless (wifi).

I am not familiar with DSL modems, but the users at the forum link below may be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/centurylink

MacM4ODA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Arizona
That is a good site to test your Internet speed, but it won't do anything to troubleshoot your overall system slowness/beachballing.

A new modem is not going to fix the issues you are having. If your Internet speed is not at the speed you are paying for, a better modem may help.

Sounds like you have CenturyLink DSL? yes, it is a PK5000

http://internethelp.centurylink.com/internethelp/modems.html

Here is a list of their approved modems. Looks like most of them do include wireless (wifi). thank you, good info

I am not familiar with DSL modems, but the users at the forum link below may be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/centurylink

once more, thank you for this info, i will explore it all later when i am not pressed for TIME !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.