Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Barclaycard last week announced a revamped version of its credit card partnership with Apple, the Barclaycard Apple Rewards Visa, offering a new Apple rewards program and financing deals (via AppleInsider).

The new reward card offers three points per dollar spent at the Apple Store (iTunes and App Stores do not qualify), two points spent in restaurants, and one point on all other purchases. Once a customer breaks 2,500 points, they receive a $25 Apple Store gift card.

Within the first thirty days of opening an account, users can also finance purchases made through Apple with deferred interest. Purchases under $498 can be financed for six months, $499-$998 for twelve months, and $999 and over for eighteen months.

barclaycard_apple_rewards_yosemite.jpg
The last Barclaycard with iTunes Rewards didn't have a triple-points reward tier for customers. It started at paying out two points for every dollar spent at the Apple Store or iTunes Store, and one point for every dollar spent everywhere else. Instead of an Apple Store gift card, the payout at 2,500 points was an iTunes gift card.

The card isn't yet confirmed to work with Apple Pay, but is expected to as both Visa and Barclaycard are participating partners. The new card also supports Chip & Pin security, not Chip & Signature like most other new cards in the United States, with an embedded EMV Chip for security.

The Barclaycard Apple Rewards Visa can be applied for today on Barclaycard's Official Website. Apple is also promoting the new card, touting its reward and financing options, on the company's online store.

Article Link: Barclaycard Launches New Apple Rewards Visa Card With 3x Points on Apple Store Purchases

macintologist

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2004
There are better credit cards out there like the Amex Blue Cash Preferred which pays 6% for groceries, 3% for gas and 1% for everything else. I buy gift cards at grocery stores and earn 6% cash back on them.

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
Cute. Discover has offered 5% cash back on Apple Store purchases for years.

hokiewalrus

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2010
I'm more interested in the fact that this will be a chip & pin card, they are still pretty rare here in the states. Hopefully more issuing banks will start rolling out pin cards as well.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
LOL! I just went to check it out and the website is down, experiencing "technical issues". If indeed it's 24% interest, that's absurd. Spending over $800 to get a $25 gift card isn't much of an incentive.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
There are better credit cards out there like the Amex Blue Cash Preferred which pays 6% for groceries, 3% for gas and 1% for everything else. I buy gift cards at grocery stores and earn 6% cash back on them.

Just checked out the Amex Blue Cash Preferred card, it looks great but you are hit with a $75 annual fee. Seems like the card would be useful if you make a lot of purchases. So if you opt for a lower reward points card + not having annual rate, I bet you can still come out even with the lower reward rate card.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I can't imagine spending enough at Apple Stores to make this worthwhile. No word about interest rates. I'll pass.

I can. In addition UK credit cards seem to be falling all over themselves right now to do 0% balance transfers. As soon as they update the nMP I’m in.
So buy with this card and get three points per pound. That’s a 6 core at the business store for £2755. (8265 pts). Take advantage iof any deferred period and the transfer the balance when the credit returns to normal.

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
All the time as long as you go through the ShopDiscover website.

Yeah it may be occasional, but it's never NOT been available to me when I've needed to buy something. $40 cash back on an iPhone is pretty okay, covers the cost of a case.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

True, but at least Barclaycard is making an effort to be competitive. Their existing card was good for a deferred interest period on one purchase, and nothing else.

Crispy Duck

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Manchester, UK
I can. In addition UK credit cards seem to be falling all over themselves right now to do 0% balance transfers. As soon as they update the nMP I’m in.
So buy with this card and get three points per pound. That’s a 6 core at the business store for £2755. (8265 pts). Take advantage iof any deferred period and the transfer the balance when the credit returns to normal.

Where does it say this card will be available in the UK?

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Wow a card meant only for the most hardcore fanboy.

I suggest American Express for points or southwest chase for flights

eiuro

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2013
I can confirm the Barclay card does work with apple pay. I just got a approved for one last week with a $2500 credit line and used it with apple pay. Apr is 24% so you must payoff your balance asap!

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
The deferred interest on initial Apple purchases seems to be the only meaningful benefit IMO. After that, I wouldn't touch the thing again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.