Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevanw

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
It's hard to find decent review sites. There's just too much blatant bias these days. Sure every review has some bias, but at least separate the bias from the facts. That way the reader can make a decision on fact and the reviewers opinion. The Verge is probably one of the biggest offenders of Apple bias. So much so that people like Eric Griffen has referred to them as iVerge. But I think this article from a tech journalist really says it all. A very revealing article of the tech media and their relationship with Apple. I've always wondered why reviews of the iPhone have always had negatives/cons of the device so sugar coated or just not mentioned.

https://medium.com/@krautreporter/the-apple-media-distortion-field-644e9e7b8666

Last edited:

Benched08

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2014
I don't understand this complaint when just about every review site praises or criticizes the same phones. Nobody dislikes the iPhone 6, and everybody liked the Moto X 2014. What bias...

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011
Agreed. Apple edited out the "it's a road trip" mishap at this year's live event for the iPad Air 2 like nobody was going to remember that they f'ed up at one point in the presentation.

iVerge's editor also wrote an article on why he's bias for Apple which is why nobody takes iVerge serious anymore.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
News sites depend on clicks for funding. With Apple if you report the truth you get your privileges revoked so they're indirectly killing your site and driving traffic to other biased sites like The Verge, etc. That's why Anandtech only report pros and not cons when it comes to Apple product reviews since not only his privileges will be revoked but he could also lose his job at Apple.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/30/europes-best-selling-computer-magazine-bild-gets-apple-pr-accreditation-revoked-after-bendgate-video/

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/09/anandtech-founder-anand-shimpi-retires-from-journalism-to-work-at-apple/

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Yup. It's all marketing now. Apple doesn't even try to put out new devices and provide top of the line support. They simply market it the best. /s

Please notice the sarcasm tag.

Nah Apple's still a tech visionary. We all know it's true because Tim Cook says "culture of innovation" and "truly great products" and "I feel really great about this" 1000 times a year

When I first saw iOS 7 I thought it looked like unicorn vomit. Then I heard Jony talk for 5 minutes about how astonishingly beautiful it was and realized I was wrong. Unicorn vomit really is an extension of one's self and it took an organization with a culture of innovation to help me realize it

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Marketing can hype a product all it likes but if the product is rubbish, people won't buy it. Personally I think the iPhone gets a hard time from tech sites and it's not always justified. Not everybody has the same criteria when buying a phone and many reviews fail to realise that. I've read sites that criticise Apples devices and get a lot of support from readers, but the following week when a more positive story is published they are accused by the same people of bias and being paid by Apple. I just hope we get honest reviews rather than pressure from Apple in some cases and the opposite from readers in others.

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
News sites depend on clicks for funding. With Apple if you report the truth you get your privileges revoked so they're indirectly killing your site and driving traffic to other biased sites like The Verge, etc. That's why Anandtech only report pros and not cons when it comes to Apple product reviews since not only his privileges will be revoked but he could also lose his job at Apple.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/30/europes-best-selling-computer-magazine-bild-gets-apple-pr-accreditation-revoked-after-bendgate-video/

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/09/anandtech-founder-anand-shimpi-retires-from-journalism-to-work-at-apple/

Anand doesn't work at the site with his name on it anymore. They are free to print whatever they want. Could it be possible that the new job and old relationships translates to bias? Yes. Does it have anything to do with Anand being employed by Apple and then posting articles on his old site? No.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Nah Apple's still a tech visionary. We all know it's true because Tim Cook says "culture of innovation" and "truly great products" and "I feel really great about this" 1000 times a year

When I first saw iOS 7 I thought it looked like unicorn vomit. Then I heard Jony talk for 5 minutes about how astonishingly beautiful it was and realized I was wrong. Unicorn vomit really is an extension of one's self and it took an organization with a culture of innovation to help me realize it

Looks like the concept opinions just flies RIGHT over your head.

I find the "Big Three" to be all beautiful. Also he wasn't even referring to the aesthetics when he mentioned innovation...Work on those reading comprehension skills:eek:

----------

Looks like Apple isn't the only one that manipulates.

"Samsung has a powerful influence on South Korea's economic development, politics, media and culture"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung

TimelessOne

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
There is a reason I toss iVerge out as a good review.

For example if I want a good review of products I find I like places like AndroidCentral does a good job on android. Crackberry does a good on blackberry ect.

When they are reviewing Android products on android central guess what they do not compare it in terms of quality to the iPad other than take for example nexus 9 they pointed out it has the same ratio of the iPad. But limit it to things like that. Everything else if they compare it to anything it is to other Android phones and hell they try to limit the comparing to same manufacture in the reviews.

iMore does very passing thing in comparing to Android but for the most part avoids it.

Now the sites all do some times take quick popshots but they are taken that way. Android central ran a contest for giveaways during the release of the announcement WWDC but it was for some android products.

Verges review of the Nexus was way to focused on the iPad not the product.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Looks like the concept opinions just flies RIGHT over your head.

I find the "Big Three" to be all beautiful. Also he wasn't even referring to the aesthetics when he mentioned innovation...Work on those reading comprehension skills:eek:

you think lebron wade and bosh are beautiful?

good for you

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
It's hard to find decent review sites. There's just too much blatant bias these days. Sure every review has some bias, but at least separate the bias from the facts. That way the reader can make a decision on fact and the reviewers opinion. The Verge is probably one of the biggest offenders of Apple bias. So much so that people like Eric Griffen has referred to them as iVerge. But I think this article from a tech journalist really says it all. A very revealing article of the tech media and their relationship with Apple. I've always wondered why reviews of the iPhone have always had negatives/cons of the device so sugar coated or just not mentioned.

Denzel said it best in Training Day:
You don't know any stories? Alright, I'll tell you a story. This is a newspaper, right? It's 90 percent bullsh#+, but it's entertaining, that's why I read it. Because it entertains me. You won't let me read it, so you entertain me. What's your bullsh#t? " --- Alonzo from Training Day

alonzo-harris-training-day.jpg

kepler20b

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2014
I want to leave this here.

Anandtech in their ipad air 2 review surreptitiously leaves out the galaxy tab s benchmarks for contrast ratio and black levels.

This for me is almost unforgivable, and should be evidence that they are no longer trustworthy for reviewing apple/android products.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013

Pardon my ignorance, but who is Eric Griffen?

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013

Anandtech in their ipad air 2 review surreptitiously leaves out the galaxy tab s benchmarks for contrast ratio and black levels.

This for me is almost unforgivable, and should be evidence that they are no longer trustworthy for reviewing apple/android products.

Thank you!!! Its little things like this that anand does that piss me off.they also didn't post the note 4's color ballance in basic mode and posted it's saturated mode in its comp on the 6 review

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
Thank you!!! Its little things like this that anand does that piss me off.they also didn't post the note 4's color ballance in basic mode and posted it's saturated mode in its comp on the 6 review

can you change note 4 color balance across all apps and usage patterns, with a unified setting?

----------

What contrast benchmarks?

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
can you change note 4 color balance across all apps and usage patterns, with a unified setting?

----------

What contrast benchmarks?

Of course you can

Every other major review site pegs the note 4 around 65xx and anand got like 7500 going from memory and used it's most saturated mode in the charts comparing it to the iphones

Edit they actually changed it in there charts now and before had it way off.they are so sneaky and I bet they did it on purpose

When I first saw the review the white ballance was way off so they probably used that at first so all the people would look at the review and then weeks later changed it to its better setting

Last edited:

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
Of course you can

Every other major review site pegs the note 4 around 65xx and anand got like 7500 going from memory and used it's most saturated mode in the charts comparing it to the iphones

Edit they actually changed it in there charts now and before had it way off.they are so sneaky and I bet they did it on purpose

When I first saw the review the white ballance was way off so they probably used that at first so all the people would look at the review and then weeks later changed it to its better setting

paired with those blacks that display must be awesome then. nice

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
I think it's funny that android fans always think someone has an Apple bias if they just prefer the Apple product.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I'm all for people that prefer Apple products. It just annoys me when their criticisms of android are such that it is obvious that they don't have any experience with it. Or they haven't used it since gingerbread at the att store.

Your average android user is probably savvy with iOS while the reverse is moreso not true. At least in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.