Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nautilus, the company behind the Bowflex line of exercise equipment, today announced that its Bowflex Max Trainer models have gained HealthKit integration, making them one of the first fitness products to support Apple's new health initiative. Support will also be coming in the near future for the company's Nautilus 616 cardio product lineup.

nautilushealthkit.jpg
With HealthKit integration, Bowflex users can now see their Bowflex workouts displayed in Apple's Health app, which is able to offer up dashboard data like calories burned, heart rate, time spent working out, and distance traveled. Data is acquired from the existing Bowflex Max Trainer app that transfers workout data from the exercise equipment using Bluetooth.

The Bowflex Max Trainer workout equipment, which starts at $999, is designed to burn more calories than competing treadmills and ellipticals, featuring 14-minute interval workouts. Nautilus's line of cardio equipment, which is gaining HealthKit support in the near future, includes a range of elliptical, treadmill, and upright and recumbent bikes.

"As one of the first fitness equipment companies to support Apple HealthKit, Nautilus, Inc. continues to lead the category by offering the latest health and fitness tools to help consumers achieve their fitness goals," said Rob Murdock, Vice President/General Manager of Nautilus, Inc. "Studies prove that digital connectivity and the ability to track progress play a critical role in keeping people motivated and engaged. We are dedicated to leveraging these tools and engaging consumers to better understand and manage their health and fitness."
Introduced alongside the iOS 8 Health app as part of a fitness and health-focused initiative, HealthKit is designed to tap into data from sensors within the iPhone and integrate with existing health and fitness apps and hardware. Information gathered from third-party apps like the Bowflex software is aggregated in the Health app to provide an overall picture of a person's activity levels.

HealthKit experienced a few hiccups when iOS 8 was first released, with Apple initially withholding HealthKit functionality from third-party apps due to a bug, but as of the iOS 8.0.2 update in September, HealthKit has been fully functional.

With HealthKit widely available to third-party developers, several fitness-related apps have begun to support the feature, including Pocket Yoga, 7 Minute Workout, CARROT Fit, and more. Several hardware products with accompanying apps have also gained HealthKit support, including the Jawbone UP and the Withings Smart Body Analyzer.

Article Link: Nautilus Brings HealthKit Integration to Exercise Equipment, Led by Bowflex Max Trainer

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I see HealthKit in the same light as Passbook - a tremendous amount of promise. Ultimately, it will be a few years before it is fully capable and supported.

Born Again

macrumors 601
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Pricey equipment

HealthKit doesn't truly address diet. Working out is 15% of health.

As someone who trains everyday I am fasinated that apple is going this route. It's not an easy task at all. Nor is it easy for an athlete.

Now take a normal American who wants to track their metrics it's going to come down to the individual.

I don't care if you wear an apple watch or track your steps all day. It doesn't mean anything if your diet is crap.

That said that's the bigger problem. Diet is 85% of the equation Of HEALTH!!! and I should know because I need to track my calories daily for muscle growth and recovery. Yes I burn a lot of calories but it means nothing if I'm not fueling properly.

My friends on myfitnesspal often stop logging in after a week or so.

My prediction - I'm sorry guys - HealthKit will be the new stocks app. Useful if you're dedicated to it or useless if you're not.

Doubtful many of my American friends who are overweight will ever be truly dedicated

-Your friendly triathlete forum member

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
I read the title's "Exercise Equipment" and expected that HealthKit would be added to high school backpacks. I was disappointed.

In seriousness, the one thing I'd want HealthKit for is biking. iPhone speedometer/statistics, heck yeah! If only it would work with random $5 China-brand Bluetooth sensors and not some really expensive Apple-approved equipment. We already know how Apple is with MFi game controllers.

Last edited:

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
I see HealthKit in the same light as Passbook - a tremendous amount of promise. Ultimately, it will be a few years before it is fully capable and supported.

Building innovative platforms is all about playing the long game.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Working out is 15% of health.

As someone who trains everyday I am fasinated that apple is going this route. It's not an easy task at all. Nor is it easy for an athlete.

Diet is 85% of the equation Of HEALTH!!! and I should know because I need to track my calories daily for muscle growth and recovery.

Doubtful many of my American friends who are overweight will ever be truly dedicated

Hey man, do you exercise or something? I wasn't totally sure after reading your post.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Pricey equipment

Now take a normal American who wants to track their metrics it's going to come down to the individual.

I don't care if you wear an apple watch or track your steps all day. It doesn't mean anything if your diet is crap.

That said that's the bigger problem. Diet is 85% of the equation Of HEALTH!!! and I should know because I need to track my calories daily for muscle growth and recovery. Yes I burn a lot of calories but it means nothing if I'm not fueling properly.

My prediction - I'm sorry guys - HealthKit will be the new stocks app. Useful if you're dedicated to it or useless if you're not.

Your friends on my myfitnesspal are quitters. Get some friends with discipline. Myfitnesspal is probably the easiest app on the planet to use. They are just lazy.

What apple did was take the guess work out of the thing people do the most. Walking. It's really convenient to look at health kit and realize you just walked 5 miles. They are not trying to be all things to everyone. That what 3rd party vendors are for. If you integrate the Up app it will also track the food you input in myfitnesspal and it will tell you how healthy your diet is.

Born Again

macrumors 601
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Hey man, do you exercise or something? I wasn't totally sure after reading your post.

YeT your passive comment just goes to show Americans will continue to be unhealthy

----------

Your friends on my myfitnesspal are quitters. Get some friends with discipline. Myfitnesspal is probably the easiest app on the planet to use. They are just lazy.

What apple did was take the guess work out of the thing people do the most. Walking. It's really convenient to look at health kit and realize you just walked 5 miles. They are not trying to be all things to everyone. That what 3rd party vendors are for. If you integrate the Up app it will also track the food you input in myfitnesspal and it will tell you how healthy your diet is.

You can also sync myfitnesspal with garmin connect and training peaks.

Thanks for the app suggestion.

It would be great if something existed that would automatically track your food!

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Pricey equipment

Apple can't address laziness, which is what many people are when it comes to Health. I use MyFitnessPal religiously to track and monitor my diet and it works great for me. Since MFP already tracks diet and syncs with HealthKit, there's nothing more for Apple to do on that front. I recently discovered that RunKeeper syncs with MFP and imports my runs into that too. Pretty amazing. Apple and third party devs can create all the tools in the world but it takes the individual to actually want to put in the effort. Most just don't care.

Born Again

macrumors 601
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Apple can't address laziness, which is what many people are when it comes to Health. I use MyFitnessPal religiously to track and monitor my diet and it works great for me. Since MFP already tracks diet and syncs with HealthKit, there's nothing more for Apple to do on that front. I recently discovered that RunKeeper syncs with MFP and imports my runs into that too. Pretty amazing. Apple and third party devs can create all the tools in the world but it takes the individual to actually want to put in the effort. Most just don't care.

Exactly

All this data won't mean anything if people won't religiously input their food.

Steps don't equal to a healthy lifestyle.

10,000 doesn't burn much calories. Put it this way- if you eat a donut - that's 250 calories. You'd have to walk miles to burn that off. Or run 2-3 miles for most people.

Anyways like this expensive coat hanger the iWatch will be a $500 deadweight on your wrist.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012

Cardiio
Carrot
Firport
Fitstar
HUman
MyFitnessPal
Sleep Cycle
Withings

Those are the ones I use regularly.

bking10

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2014
how about just making it so Healthkit doesnt reset itself every other day. so frustrating

fontman

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Costa mesa
Hey - It would great if apple got their Health kit app working ??????

It would great if apple got their Health kit app working ?????? come on guys

Shadow Runner

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
If you are working out because the machine looks cool or integrates with your phone, then you are not working out for the right reasons and will end up quitting in no time. Workout to stay/become healthy for the sake of it and that will be all the motivation you should need.

This is not to say you should stay away from these machines. If you want to workout for the sake of it and do it on these types of machines, go for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.