Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

playethic

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I clicked on a streaming video link I shouldn't have clicked on, and now have apparent malware when I open Safari, that blocks the browser from doing anything.
The pop-up window within the browser window says it's http://www.mac-system-alerts.com, and this:
Safari - Alert
Suspicious Activity Might Have been Detected.
Major Security Issue
To fix it please call Support for Apple
+1 800-680-4131 (Toll Free) immediately!

I tried to go to Safari/Preferences/Extensions, which Google results show as a potential solution, but for me all the options are greyed out so going that route to fix it does not work. It has completely immobilized Safari. Closing and reopening the browser, or rebooting, make no difference.

How do I get rid of it, when the options within Preferences are also immobilized?

Thank you

playethic

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Activity Monitor screenshots

In case this is useful to anyone who can help me, these two screenshots show the Activity Monitor Screenshot 2014-11-11 14.01.47.png

Screenshot 2014-11-11 14.01.11.png

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Avast! works like a champion. And it's free.

Use a pen drive to transfer Firefox installer image or just the app installer, install, clean, done.

playethic

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I will check Avast.

Re the second part of your message, I don't understand sorry...I download the Firefox installer onto a USB drive, then re-install it from the USB drive to the laptop again??? Sorry if I'm being thick...

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I'd try rebooting the Mac in Safe Mode (hold the SHIFT key down while it's booting). Once in Safe Mode, try going into Safari Preferences and checking the extensions...

playethic

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Tried safe mode; no Avast

I just tried safe mode but unfortunately after that reboot the malware popup was still there and System Preferences still greyed out and not clickable.

I looked at Avast but it looks like it's for PCs only. There was a Mac option called TuneUpMac or something and I tried it but it wouldn't let me install Firefox to a USB drive, had to have Mac OSX.

yankeefan15

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2014
Safari scam

You guys are total lifesavers..could not figure out how to fix my browser..the shift and clear history option fixed it. Never experienced anything like this before and almost got sucked into the scam..the woman on the other line was trying way to hard to get information from me..God knows how many poor SOBs have been suckered by these parasites. Thanks so much. Another thing I've been experiencing on firefox is these yahoo DNS errors..infuriating..have not been able to use firefox because of it and it is an excellent browser too. I do I get rid of this nonsense as well. So far you saved me a trip to a tech..just hope I don't have to reconsider it.:apple:

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
And then I might add, take your business to Firefox and never return, LOL a2

The Hammer

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Tried safe mode; no Avast

I just tried safe mode but unfortunately after that reboot the malware popup was still there and System Preferences still greyed out and not clickable.

I looked at Avast but it looks like it's for PCs only. There was a Mac option called TuneUpMac or something and I tried it but it wouldn't let me install Firefox to a USB drive, had to have Mac OSX.
There is a Mac version of Avast. Also a lot of people like MalwareBytes which also has a free version.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
I have had that same Safari malware come up from time to time over the last 3 years.

I used MalwareBytes about 6 months ago and have not seen it since.

I hoped Apple would fix this by now, but no luck. a2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.