Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
I am a big Google and Nexus phone fan, and AOSP ROM's, etc... But I have to admit that Apple does OS and phone releases a million times better.

- Google officially announced Android 5.0 Lollipop back on Oct. 15th. It is now Nov. 12th and the Nexus 5, Nexus 4, and GPE phones still do not officially have the new OS yet, ( yeah there are leaks and hacked versions, but not the real deal official release yet )

- Google said Nov. 3rd would be the date, but found a bug, and said it would come a week later, still nothing officially.

- Nexus 6 ? A strange release again, with vague and little info. It sells out immediately on the Play Store, again lack of planning and forecast from Google as to how popular the phone will be.

- Carriers selling the Nexus 6 ? Super vague on exactly when, and changing dates, and which version they will stock ? Verizon now not saying specifically when they will start carrying it, maybe December ? ATT might have some bloatware preinstalled now. T-Mobile originally said Nov.12th, but that just changed to Nov. 19th, and doesn't seem set in stone.

I will give Apple credit, when they announce a new iPhone and new iOS update, it comes out like a week or ten days later, and the older iPhone's get that update all at the same quickly, and all carriers and stores start selling the new iPhone at the same time, there's no delayed launch on some carriers, and vague info on details, it's all known and upfront.

Where Google is just a mess on a new Android update and getting that new OS to existing Nexus / GPE devices.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I hear what you're saying but you need to take a look at this from 30,000 ft rather than right on top of it.

- The number of devices running 'stock' Android is a drop in the bucket compared to the entirety of the Android world, even less when you only look at Nexus devices. Us tech aficionados represent a tiny fraction of Android's user base. So yeah, we notice this stuff but the rest of the world doesn't notice, likely doesn't have a clue, and probably doesn't care regardless.

- Google found a bug and subsequently delayed the release--this is a bad thing? Or would you rather have the potential Lollipop equivalent of iOS 8.0.1. ;) And Apple announced iOS 8 back in June, yet it wasn't released until September. I wouldn't call that an immediate turnaround. Google moving more of it's core apps to the Play store has made OS updates far less significant. Users of skinned devices should be immensely grateful for this else they may never see updates in a timely fashion. I wish Apple would separate their core apps from the systemwide updates so we might see more frequent changes/improvements throughout the year. We only care more this time because this is a pretty big design overhaul.

- As far as Nexus devices go, yeah, it's more of the same this year. Same inept release with no fanfare or specific details for that matter. And as long as the Nexus program barely registers a blip on the proverbial mobile radar, it'll continue to happen. Why? Again, because the general public has no clue about Nexus devices and couldn't care less. Google is only pissing off the fanboys and that's not worth any media attention. You think any of this niche, likely some of Android's most devoted followers, are going to jump ship to iOS because of this? Hardly think so, and Google probably realizes this.

It'll come, just to have a little patience (yes, I know, hard to come by when you're itching for some new tech :p).

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
I hear what you're saying but you need to take a look at this from 30,000 ft rather than right on top of it.

- The number of devices running 'stock' Android is a drop in the bucket compared to the entirety of the Android world, even less when you only look at Nexus devices. Us tech aficionados represent a tiny fraction of Android's user base. So yeah, we notice this stuff but the rest of the world doesn't notice, likely doesn't have a clue, and probably doesn't care regardless.

- Google found a bug and subsequently delayed the release--this is a bad thing? Or would you rather have the potential Lollipop equivalent of iOS 8.0.1. ;) And Apple announced iOS 8 back in June, yet it wasn't released until September. I wouldn't call that an immediate turnaround. Google moving more of it's core apps to the Play store has made OS updates far less significant. Users of skinned devices should be immensely grateful for this else they may never see updates in a timely fashion. I wish Apple would separate their core apps from the systemwide updates so we might see more frequent changes/improvements throughout the year. We only care more this time because this is a pretty big design overhaul.

- As far as Nexus devices go, yeah, it's more of the same this year. Same inept release with no fanfare or specific details for that matter. And as long as the Nexus program barely registers a blip on the proverbial mobile radar, it'll continue to happen. Why? Again, because the general public has no clue about Nexus devices and couldn't care less. Google is only pissing off the fanboys and that's not worth any media attention.

It'll come, just to have a little patience (yes, I know, hard to come by when you're itching for some new tech :p).

You say Apple announced iOS8 in June and didn't get released until September, ok. Well Google announced 5.0 Android 'L" at Google I/O back in June, and it's November now.

IMO when Google officially reveals Android 5.0 Lollipop on Oct. 15th, they should have the Nexus 6 available in stores and online to sell by Oct. 31st. And 5.0 update ready for the Nexus 5, Nexus 4 and GPE phones, also on Oct. 31st.

Not like now, a whole month later, and only some carries getting the Nexus 6 just now, others in a week or two, and Verizon in a month, and Play Store out of stock, and Nexus 5, Nexus 4 still no official Lollipop update yet, a month after release.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
It is less than ideal I hear you

I think the only real remedy to this problem is to take the Desktop Windows approach with including many drivers with the base install. This would greatly bloat the install. Of course this is apples and oranges but a stock android image is less than 1 gig while windows is up to what 25 gigs?

It would be interesting to see if google could bundle drivers into android itself, since the swath of available hardware to oems is less with respect to phones than full PC's. I don't think google wants to take that challenge on, but it would be nice.

At this point, Id say buy motorola phones :p

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
You say Apple announced iOS8 in June and didn't get released until September, ok. Well Google announced 5.0 Android 'L" at Google I/O back in June, and it's November now.

IMO when Google officially reveals Android 5.0 Lollipop on Oct. 15th, they should have the Nexus 6 available in stores and online to sell by Oct. 31st. And 5.0 update ready for the Nexus 5, Nexus 4 and GPE phones, also on Oct. 31st.

Not like now, a whole month later, and only some carries getting the Nexus 6 just now, others in a week or two, and Verizon in a month, and Play Store out of stock, and Nexus 5, Nexus 4 still no official Lollipop update yet, a month after release.

Listen, you're preaching to the choir. I'd like to have my hands on Lollipop by now as well but as I said, Nexus and stock Android updates are a drop in the proverbial Android bucket. Scream from the rooftops all you like, you're a very, very small minority of Android users. It would be like Apple neglecting 2nd gen iPod touch users--such a small user base of all iOS users and even fewer obsessed with getting the update.

Google is in no rush because there is no large group clamoring for its release. I'd also prefer it be right than early.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
I don't mean to be crying like a little kid, saying I want my Lollipop, and I want it now :mad: No, I am not trying to be like that.

My point is, I find this strange and puzzling how Google does new updates and releases, just so vague and lacking specifics.

Like the Nexus 6 phone, not all carriers will have it at the same time, and Verizon no specific date yet. Will there be bloatware on the ATT Nexus 6 like rumors say ? Google and carriers seem to be vague and lacking detailed info here.

And then 5.0 Lollipop update for Nexus phones ? Is it truly coming out today the 12th ? I read rumors and predictions it is supposed to, but nothing official from Google. And is that just for the Nexus 5 phone only today ? What about the Nexus 4 and GPE phones too ?

It's this lack of detailed info that irks me, like come on Google get your ***** together.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
Giving firm dates can be a bad thing because if something comes up, people will complain about releasing late.

How quickly does memory fade? Anybody remember the original iPhone taking 6 months before release? Or how about the Apple Watch?

As technology advances and gets more complicated, it can get more difficult to hit firm dates.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
I installed an img file for my Nexus 7 from Google so I guess if there's any changes between now & the OTA release I'll get an OTA update.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
The 5.0 images are up for nexus devices, and OTA is starting today.

If there are updates, there will be a 5.0.1 to distribute those.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
I don't mean to be crying like a little kid, saying I want my Lollipop, and I want it now :mad: No, I am not trying to be like that.

My point is, I find this strange and puzzling how Google does new updates and releases, just so vague and lacking specifics.

Like the Nexus 6 phone, not all carriers will have it at the same time, and Verizon no specific date yet. Will there be bloatware on the ATT Nexus 6 like rumors say ? Google and carriers seem to be vague and lacking detailed info here.

And then 5.0 Lollipop update for Nexus phones ? Is it truly coming out today the 12th ? I read rumors and predictions it is supposed to, but nothing official from Google. And is that just for the Nexus 5 phone only today ? What about the Nexus 4 and GPE phones too ?

It's this lack of detailed info that irks me, like come on Google get your ***** together.
4c81d4a8822cc8f6432f66d20941909a.jpg

TimelessOne

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014

Nexus 4 was always known they would be waiting and be after the other. No surprise there.

The GPE that is the manufactures job to update those. NOT Google's. So again have to wait.

As for the others Nexus 5 Lolipop was released today for the image. The OTA are forth coming and take a while as google does 1/5/10/25/50%/all in how they do the release. If you are in the last 50% you take a while. They do the controlled roll out incase of massive issues. They do not need an 8.0.1 issue like Apple.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I honestly have no clue what the rush is or why this is a big deal? Did everyone's 4.4 phones just stop working? Do they no longer do what you use them for? It gets here when it gets here. And in the meantime, most of Google's core apps have already been updated so there's 50% of your update already.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
I don't think comparing apple to google is a fair comparison. Apple has been delivering physical products with software for over 30 years, whereas google is an advertising company. With all the different skins and OEM mods I find android hard to keep up with. If I wanted to try every OEM's on all the versions I think I would have a brain attack. Besides a few geeks I don't think many people will care as long as Google offers new apps individually like the new messenger app. I'm not about specs, hardware or software that matter to most it the experience, and for me I like the new messenger app.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

I get what your saying and yes they could be a lot more on point with things. It is a little slow and aggrevating i guess but my phone is still working fine with some 5.0 updates on it.

If somebody that needs or wants a new phone and it is going replce an older or to be my only phone, i could see the aggrevation but somebody like you who has two or three other phones......whats the big deal?

However......point taken and i agree they could be a lot more organized about it. This isnt their first rodeo anymore.

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Major android releases are always a complete mess for Nexus and GPE devices.

Don't even get into skinned devices. My S5 probably wont see android L until after the Galaxy S6 is released.

TimelessOne

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014

Don't even get into skinned devices. My S5 probably wont see android L until after the Galaxy S6 is released.

Considering the S4 already has early builds of it floating around I would say a lot sooner than that.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007

I think (at least in usa) manufacters have been working with carriers better in past 12 months in terms of getting software updates with "flagship phones"

The ATT Lg G2 received kit kat in late February 2014. And Nexus 5 with kitkat wasn't released till Nov 2013. Most people didn't receive their nexus 5 till mid to late November.

So 3 months time frame for The G2 with ATT. That's not bad.

And the G3 is getting 5.0 in Poland next week already. I suspect USA G3 will be 5.0 with carriers in USA sometime in January.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

major releases seem to be a complete mess for Microsoft, Google and Apple these days. That said, I didn't have any issues putting 5.0 on my Nexus 5. Had it up and running within an hour of the factory image hitting the web.

still waiting for the Nexus 4 factory image to drop though. supposed to be today or tomorrow. still not bad for a 2 year old device to have 5.0 within 48 hours of Google uploading the first images for Nexus 5, 7 and 10.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
major releases seem to be a complete mess for Microsoft, Google and Apple these days. That said, I didn't have any issues putting 5.0 on my Nexus 5. Had it up and running within an hour of the factory image hitting the web.

still waiting for the Nexus 4 factory image to drop though. supposed to be today or tomorrow. still not bad for a 2 year old device to have 5.0 within 48 hours of Google uploading the first images for Nexus 5, 7 and 10.

Technically some Roms are built from source and I already have Lollipop on my phone. A bit flaggy but I expect that from a 2 year old device.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Considering the S4 already has early builds of it floating around I would say a lot sooner than that.

While that may be true it doesn't do much if the carrier won't release it.

So, in my case, Samsung having Lollipop ready for my Note 4 doesn't do anything for me. I have to wait for AT&T. Considering the crap they put on, and the useful features they took off, of my Note 4 on KitKat that could be a long wait.

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.