Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Wouldn't that mean that with both NFC and CurrentC apps installed you now can literally go anywhere and pay with your phone? I know that MCX isn't a great consortium by any means but when it comes, this plus NFC in your iPhone, means you actually can leave the wallet at home. Especially if they allow credit cards.

*In Arizona you can order duplicate licenses for $12, I ordered one and keeping it in the glove box, that solves that debate.

**Of course you'll still need a card for some things, keep one in the car as well, many sit in restaurants are slow to adapt.

*** but for other purposes, now it seems like you're covered, but I still want MCX to fail.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I personally wouldn't keave my photo ID in the glovebox of my car. Other than that I supose I agree with everything else mentioned.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wouldn't that mean that with both NFC and CurrentC apps installed you now can literally go anywhere and pay with your phone?
I don't think the combined NFC CurrentC options will allow you to go anywhere. I think that will still only cover a small percentage of retailers. That is many retailers do not use NFC or CurrentC.

I personally wouldn't want to leave my wallet behind. I need my ID (Its no good in the glove compartment), I also want/need my credit cards and other items in there such as cash.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The duplicate license idea is a good one. There's still the issue of being able to withdraw cash from an ATM machine, so maybe Apple will open NFC to third party bank apps to allow us to withdraw cash using our phone.

Costco is still requiring a physical Costco card in order to gain access (as well as to initiate the transaction) so I'll need to carry that unless they finally go high tech and update the Costco app to show the Costco card electronically.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Yes, interesting idea on the license. Not sure that's available in all states without falsely claiming a lost license.

Two other wallet-worthy documents: medical insurance card and concealed carry permit.

RCRod83

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
The whole premises behind MCX's project is to bypass the credit card companies altogether.

If they start allowing credit cards, it defeats the purpose of CurrentC. Furthermore, even if they did support credit cards, it doesn't mean they would enable NFC technology.

mycroft8

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
The whole premises behind MCX's project is to bypass the credit card companies altogether.

If they start allowing credit cards, it defeats the purpose of CurrentC. Furthermore, even if they did support credit cards, it doesn't mean they would enable NFC technology.

Yes; the whole premise of CurrentC is to completely bypass the exchange fees the merchants pay to banks. So don't expect bank cards to ever be supported. I suppose it's possible that CurrentC could support store specific credit cards.

But to me the whole UI design of CurrentC is stupid idiocy. Taking pictures of screens or typing in long codes will not be accepted. If I was teaching a class on UI design and some student came up with that idea, I'd tell the student to start over from scratch.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Two other wallet-worthy documents: medical insurance card and concealed carry permit.

You can create an electronic copy of your medical insurance card and store that in your phone (and keep the physical card in the car along with the duplicate DL as a backup). I have yet to be refused service by the doctor's office for not having a physical insurance card.

As for concealed carry permit, can't you store that in the concealed gun holster?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
You can create an electronic copy of your medical insurance card and store that in your phone ... As for concealed carry permit, can't you store that in the concealed gun holster?
To the second question the answer is no, not really. I mean yes anything is possible, I suppose, but it's not like I'm champing at the bit to get rid of my wallet. I still use cash here and there and still need my ATM card for now (forgot that one!).

To the first one, I was thinking in terms of an emergency rather than a routine appointment. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but if something were to happen and I was unconscious I simply don't trust that (a) my phone would be found by the first responders, (b) it would be functional, and (c) anyone would realize you can now store Medical ID in iOS8 and think to look there. I'd rather keep the insurance card (with my emergency contacts name/#s taped to it) in a wallet where it's more likely to be found.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
To the first one, I was thinking in terms of an emergency rather than a routine appointment. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but if something were to happen and I was unconscious I simply don't trust that (a) my phone would be found by the first responders, (b) it would be functional, and (c) anyone would realize you can now store Medical ID in iOS8 and think to look there. I'd rather keep the insurance card (with my emergency contacts name/#s taped to it) in a wallet where it's more likely to be found.

If I ever become a victim of the "knockout game" they like to play and rob me in the process, they'll take my iPhone AND my wallet ;)

First responders are actually trained to search the contacts for ICE (you should have a contact named "ICE (xxx) xxx-xxxx" if you haven't already). But in the case of passcode- or TouchID-locked iPhone, there's the Emergency button which can bring up your Medical ID in iOS 8, as you already mentioned. I'm more likely to have my phone than my wallet on my person (e.g., when I walk my dog, etc.).

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
Wouldn't that mean that with both NFC and CurrentC apps installed you now can literally go anywhere and pay with your phone? I know that MCX isn't a great consortium by any means but when it comes, this plus NFC in your iPhone, means you actually can leave the wallet at home. Especially if they allow credit cards.

*In Arizona you can order duplicate licenses for $12, I ordered one and keeping it in the glove box, that solves that debate.

**Of course you'll still need a card for some things, keep one in the car as well, many sit in restaurants are slow to adapt.

*** but for other purposes, now it seems like you're covered, but I still want MCX to fail.

You cannot legally keep two driver's licenses.

From https://servicearizona.com/applicationFAQ/duplicateDriver:

Once I receive the Duplicate Driver License or Identification Card, what do I do with the original Driver License or Identification Card?
Upon receipt of the Duplicate Driver License or Identification Card, the original must be destroyed. The most current Driver License or Identification Card must be used for proof of identification.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
You cannot legally keep two driver's licenses.

From https://servicearizona.com/applicationFAQ/duplicateDriver:

Once I receive the Duplicate Driver License or Identification Card, what do I do with the original Driver License or Identification Card?
Upon receipt of the Duplicate Driver License or Identification Card, the original must be destroyed. The most current Driver License or Identification Card must be used for proof of identification.

The numbers don't change, the photo doesn't change, and the magnetic stripe keeps the same expiry. Nothing changes. That must be a nanny state law to prevent you from leaving the duplicate around and being a victim of identity theft.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
First responders are actually trained to search the contacts for ICE

Yes, though this all assumes phone can be found and is functional. I have that stuff set up, but in some areas believe in belt and suspenders. :cool:

BTW, I was thinking more like hit by car while crossing street type situations rather than a "knockout game" scenario.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The numbers don't change, the photo doesn't change, and the magnetic stripe keeps the same expiry. Nothing changes. That must be a nanny state law to prevent you from leaving the duplicate around and being a victim of identity theft.

I agree. How much trouble could you possibly get into if you keep the original DL in the car as a backup? I'm sure they won't discover it's the expired one and arrest you on the spot as a result.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
I agree. How much trouble could you possibly get into if you keep the original DL in the car as a backup? I'm sure they won't discover it's the expired one and arrest you on the spot as a result.

Whether I agree or disagree with your opinions is not important. I'm simply providing factual information.

As far as the uniqueness of the license, there is some question. There is information indicating the DD number does provide that. It's possible you could be setting yourself up for unnecessary police detention by presenting an invalid license.

Do you really need nothing from your wallet? I'd suggest at least a Tyvec wallet with the bare essentials which likely includes a few dollars in cash.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I personally wouldn't keave my photo ID in the glovebox of my car. Other than that I supose I agree with everything else mentioned.

I would really appreciate states creating apps that could produce an official digital ID, similar to what my health insurance company does. Maybe something that requires Touch ID to verify and then shows the ID. I know it has fraud implications, but standard IDs have been easily duplicated for decades.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.