Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
This thread is for apps that have taken up the Material Design style of Android Lollipop. Given my opinons on why devs are slow to make and update Android apps, let's see how fast this list grows.

Note: This is for NON Google made apps.

Talon for Twitter
Textra SMS (my favorite app when I has the S4)
Reddit News Free

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Lollipop is not even out yet. When it is released it will only be on the pure Google phones or some Motorola phones. So why would Devs update their apps now? This thread makes no sense.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Lollipop is not even out yet. When it is released it will only be on the pure Google phones or some Motorola phones. So why would Devs update their apps now? This thread makes no sense.

TECHNICALLY, Lollipop IS out, now it's up to each manufacturer to release it to their devices. LG is pushing it to the G3 (in Poland to start with), Motorola is getting it out on the Moto G and X (current version of each only thus far) and the factory images are out for the Nexus devices. Sure, Samsung hasn't released it for any devices yet, but why wait until tons of devices have it before updating your app? It's called being proactive, Google was and has ALL of their apps updated with Material Design, even on non-Lollipop devices.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008

It was released today. So yes, it is out.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
TECHNICALLY, Lollipop IS out, now it's up to each manufacturer to release it to their devices. LG is pushing it to the G3 (in Poland to start with), Motorola is getting it out on the Moto G and X (current version of each only thus far) and the factory images are out for the Nexus devices. Sure, Samsung hasn't released it for any devices yet, but why wait until tons of devices have it before updating your app? It's called being proactive, Google was and has ALL of their apps updated with Material Design, even on non-Lollipop devices.
No it has not be released..... It can only be found on pure Google devices and some Motorola phones. It cannot be found except in VERY limited devices. So again why would Devs update their apps for such a small amount of customers?

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
How many handsets are out there with lollipop? How many will be in the hands of customers in 4/6/8 weeks from now. App developers will prioritize and getting their app "materialized" when the actual user demand is so small means you may be waiting for some time.

It was released today. So yes, it is out.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
No it has not be released..... It can only be found on pure Google devices and some Motorola phones. It cannot be found except in VERY limited devices. So again why would Devs update their apps for such a small amount of customers?

Google has released the OS, the OS is available for supported devices and more devices will be supported as manufacturers get their builds out. Just because there aren't A LOT of supported devices yet does not mean the OS hasn't been released. So, if you have a phone that will NEVER get Lollipop would you consider the OS as never released?

Again, it would be sensible for devs to update their apps now, before people start complaining that they're SLOW to update because they waited a few weeks/months until there were a lot of devices running the new OS. By the way, just because they updated their app does NOT mean it won't work on older versions, Googles own apps are evidence of that.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan

If devices are getting OTA updates today how is it not released? There's also these fun things called developer previews. Take a wild guess at who they are for.

Last edited:

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
  • QKSMS - It's absolutely gorgeous.

This list will grow as I install more and more applications over time. I've only installed the necessities on my Nexus 5 and 7 so far.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Really so which phones have it?
Not just phones on the list, but here is what has Lollipop as of 12 Nov:

Nexus Player
Nexus 9
Nexus 5
Nexus 7 (2013 model both WiFi only)
Nexus 7 (2012 model both WiFi only)
Nexus 10
Moto X 2014 (unlocked version)
Moto G 2014 (unlocked version)
LG G3 (started rolling out this week - in Poland first!)

HTC One (2013 and 2014 models) will get the updates by Feb 4, 2015. (HTC has a self-mandated 90 day window to update these phones from Google's release date.)

Sony (Xperia Z family only) and Samsung (likely Note 3/4 and S4/5 only) are talking beginning of 2015 sometime. Both companies suck at putting out updates.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The Nexus 6, the Nexus 5, the Moto X.

Any other smart ass remarks you want to make?
so if I question the troll it is being a smart ass? Wow......
So now taking your phone list....how many handsets?
So how many of those actually have the update? You don't know......but the number is so small. The Nexus 6 is not even out for another week or more and yet you list it? So everyone that has a Nexus 5 or Moto X has Lollipop now?
How do you know?

----------

Not just phones on the list, but here is what has Lollipop as of 12 Nov:

Nexus Player
Nexus 9
Nexus 5
Nexus 7 (2013 model both WiFi only)
Nexus 7 (2012 model both WiFi only)
Nexus 10
Moto X 2014 (unlocked version)
Moto G 2014 (unlocked version)
LG G3 (started rolling out this week - in Poland first!)

HTC One (2013 and 2014 models) will get the updates by Feb 4, 2015. (HTC has a self-mandated 90 day window to update these phones from Google's release date.)

Sony (Xperia Z family only) and Samsung (likely Note 3/4 and S4/5 only) are talking beginning of 2015 sometime. Both companies suck at putting out updates.
They all have Lollipop as of 11/12. It is available to them....not the same.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
So how many of those actually have the update? You don't know......but the number is so small. The Nexus 6 is not even out for another week or more and yet you list it? So everyone that has a Nexus 5 or Moto X has Lollipop now?
How do you know?

----------

Doesn't matter. iOS has apps ready day one.

I'm just trying to let users of L know when apps are L ready.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
How do you know?

----------

I don't understand your argument? Are you saying that unless 100% of devices are running the latest OS then it's not released? Or are you saying something else?

Also, did you completely miss the point of the thread? It's apps that have been updated a Material Design interface. Material Design is a set of guidelines published by Google for interface design. They followed their own guidelines when making Lollipop as to create a unified interface with a smooth flow.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
So we talking L design or L compatibility, because far more have been updated for compatibility, when you say " L ready"

I can promise a good amount of apps won't have L design ever

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I don't understand your argument? Are you saying that unless 100% of devices are running the latest OS then it's not released? Or are you saying something else?

Also, did you completely miss the point of the thread? It's apps that have been updated a Material Design interface. Material Design is a set of guidelines published by Google for interface design. They followed their own guidelines when making Lollipop as to create a unified interface with a smooth flow.
no not at all. Just trying to balance out the argument. Did you see the premise of the thread? Why all Android apps do have the new Lollipop material designs now that Lollipop has been released. I was trying to point out that Lollipop has been made public. But it is not like all Android phone have it. It is a very small limited release. No phone has been released with it yet. The Nexus 6 does not ship until the 18th (AT&T).

If you look at who started the thread. He is a Android hater that is trolling.

Last edited:

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
So we talking L design or L compatibility, because far more have been updated for compatibility, when you say " L ready"

I can promise a good amount of apps won't have L design ever

As the OP stated, Material Design. It only comes with L.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
no not at all. Just trying to balance out the argument. Did you see the premise of the thread? Why all Android apps do have the new Lollipop material designs now that Lollipop has been released. I was trying to point out that Lollipop has been made public. But it is not like all Android phone have it. It is a very small limited release. No phone has been released with it yet. The Nexus 6 does not ship until the 18th (AT&T).

Yes, I did see the premise of the thread

This thread is for apps that have taken up the Material Design style of Android Lollipop...

All the OP is trying to do is put together a list of apps that have been updated with a Material Design interface. It is completely independent of actually running Lollipop or not

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010

A couple of points.
1. Lollipop is out. The OTA went live yesterday and a lot of people (like me) downloaded the factory images and manually flashed it to their devices (I did my Nexus 5 and two Nexus 7s... going to wait for the OTA on my wife's Nexus 5)

2. Using your definition, all Android upgdates are "limited releases". Google only updates base android for Nexus devices. It is up to the device manufacturers to roll the new system in to their devices. This is how it has always been. The long and short of it is that Lollipop 5.0 has been released to the entire world and everyone with the capability is able to download and run it.

3. Some people already seem to have Nexus 6 phones.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
As the OP stated, Material Design. It only comes with L. ... I'm just trying to let users of L know when apps are L ready.

i dont understand. im bit confused. are you talking about a design or a compatibility?

what comes only with L? google apps have new L design already, you dont need L for it. unlike ios android core apps are updated through Playstore. what comes to other apps, i dont think that developers change the style just because of L.

what comes to compatibility, i have gotten several updates daily for my apps and when checking the reason it has been "lollipop update". i havent calculated but probably almost all my apps are already updated for it...

for example, just got an update...
16bf6589864d15f98f4cd6c4265bce75.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.