Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
I had no idea until recently that you could even do this, you can register the same finger twice, and it seems to increase accuracy quite a bit and makes TouchID even more consistent

I registered my right thumb twice and TouchID has not failed me even one time so far on my Plus ever since I did this....this is a extremely neat tip and trick that others should do aswell

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I had no idea until recently that you could even do this, you can register the same finger twice, and it seems to increase accuracy quite a bit and makes TouchID even more consistent

I registered my right thumb twice and TouchID has not failed me even one time so far on my Plus ever since I did this....this is a extremely neat tip and trick that others should do aswell

I have each finger registered only once and Touch ID works 100% of the time for me.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
That might make my phones brain hurt... It would have two fingers to unlock the phone with. Hmm. Which would it choose?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I used to do that on my 5s to increase TouchID accuracy. However, TouchID is significantly improved on the 6 so I only have one finger registered and it's been working 100% since day one (as long as my hand isn't wet).

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
I did this on my dominant thumb...not because it was slow but to speed up the process when my fingers inevitably hit the button at an extreme angle or whatever. My phone unlocks almost to fast now! I press home to turn it on (since I hate the side button position :mad: ) and it unlocks just from a quick press! I can pretty much unlock it with my dominant thumb from any point including just using the part of the thumb where the joint meets!

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I used to do that on my 5s to increase TouchID accuracy. However, TouchID is significantly improved on the 6 so I only have one finger registered and it's been working 100% since day one (as long as my hand isn't wet).

Same. My 5S needed that with iOS 7. No issues with either of my 6es.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
on the 5S yes, on the 6 and 6+ haven't seen the need. The reader seems to be more consistent

localboy28

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I used all slots for my thumb on my 5s but only used one slot for my thumb on my 6, hasn't failed once.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
It would have two fingers to unlock the phone with. Hmm. Which would it choose?

It'll choose the one that's resting on the TouchID sensor. :cool:

I've registered both thumbs and both index fingers. Covers nearly any way I'd likely hold my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.