Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I bought a disk drive for my Powermac G3 beige and installed. I needed an OS X install disk to re-set the startup disk because the PRAM got reset and forgot how to boot into OS X. I burned a CD with Jaguar install disk 1 from a DMG file, and tried it, but it won't boot from it. Can Powermac G3s not boot from burned disks, or did the dmg image not save the CD exactly, or is the disk drive i bought bad?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I bought a disk drive for my Powermac G3 beige and installed. I needed an OS X install disk to re-set the startup disk because the PRAM got reset and forgot how to boot into OS X. I burned a CD with Jaguar install disk 1 from a DMG file, and tried it, but it won't boot from it. Can Powermac G3s not boot from burned disks, or did the dmg image not save the CD exactly, or is the disk drive i bought bad?

A disk that is burned from a proper image onto a appropriate disk in a functioning burner is no different (usually) than getting a disk from the store. I would verify the disk on another machine.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
A disk that is burned from a proper image onto a appropriate disk in a functioning burner is no different (usually) than getting a disk from the store. I would verify the disk on another machine.

Is it possible that the DMG disk image made by disk utility did not store the disk exactly? I copied a bunch of disks in DMG format with Disk Utility. Should I start over and use ISO instead?

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Is it possible that the DMG disk image made by disk utility did not store the disk exactly? I copied a bunch of disks in DMG format with Disk Utility. Should I start over and use ISO instead?

DMG is the correct way to image and store bootable OSX images. There are more problems with toast and ISO images, although I have burnt successfully from all three formats.

For Jaguar it is important that you do not mount the image before burning. Mounting adds a few kb of data to the image and can unbless it. When you next make a Jaguar/Puma/Cheetah image lock it before burning (Get Info > tick Lock box).

It is also possible that the laser on your beige's optical drive is wearing out and may struggle with certain disk dyes. Trial and error is the only way to check.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.