Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewdroid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2014
Hi all Im wondering as I want to upgrade my ssd from 256gb to 512gb
(2013 13" Retina MBP)
whats the best way to clone my old drive with the mac and windows partitions (bootcamp)
can anyone point me to guides that they know work as I want to keep all data settings etc. on both partitions as they are now
thanks A

andrewdroid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2014
thanks for that SaSaSushi
but thats the same amount of cash that I paid for my window7 disc
it seems like a lot to pay for a one off thing (being a student I dont have any spare)
I remember doing the same in a windows/redhat laptop years ago and took both drives plugged them into another linux machine and just copied one to the other cp -R it copied everything including boot records.
wondering if this works with mac bootcamp
why does mac make everything so difficult?
ah stupid question really so they can make more money out of you

mac8867

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
A couple things for you here... first, cp -R never copied your boot records, sorry, it doesnt work that way. Perhaps you used dd or cpio. Second, the SSD's in your retina are very specifc to what they can be plugged into, specific enclosures etc, you will be hard pressed to find a different way to do this by imaging the old drive without an enclosure.

One option to consider: Put the new drive in and restore the OS cleanly, then use a time machine backup to restore your apps and preferences on OSX. Then, re-install your bootcamp.

andrewdroid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2014
A couple things for you here... first, cp -R never copied your boot records, sorry, it doesnt work that way. Perhaps you used dd or cpio. Second, the SSD's in your retina are very specifc to what they can be plugged into, specific enclosures etc, you will be hard pressed to find a different way to do this by imaging the old drive without an enclosure.

One option to consider: Put the new drive in and restore the OS cleanly, then use a time machine backup to restore your apps and preferences on OSX. Then, re-install your bootcamp.

Yeah you may be right I cant remember what I used to copy as 5 or 6 years ago but whatever it was it did copy everything over from an 80 gb to a 320gb drive. Though dd or cpio dont ring any bells. Do remember I used a 2nd machine with both drives plugged into it, in enclosures. Maybe I installed redhat on the bigger first one so as to have grub on there already. I do remember it was retentively simple.
Ill probably get an enclosure for the old SSD drive and use it as more storage or backup
So it looks like ill have to go for a clean install :( Not such a bad idea as lots on both partitions I dont really want. but a bit of a pain :(
Thanks for the heads up mac8867

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.