Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeilerBird

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
Please be gentle with me, I am new to the Apple world. I have been using computers intensely since the 70s and I am 66 years old so I am not a virgin. I am a very serious photographer and a few weeks ago I decided to get the iPhone 6 since I wanted the very best cell phone camera available. I got it last week and I really love it and I am thrilled with the Apple universe. You guys have made great strides in the last 20 years. Here is my problem.

I have downloaded a few small apps with out issue from the Apple app store.
But apps refuse to download completely from the Apple app store. The first one was Asphalt 8. It got about 20% down and then stopped downloading. I left it on overnight to download and nothing more came down. I tried to redownload it a second time but it just reverted to the 20% figure.

So I gave up on it downloaded a few more small apps without issue, then I tried to download Ridiculous Fishing and the same problem occured, this time at about 40 %.

Yes, I have cellular data enabled, yes I have Enable LTE enabled, and yes I have data roaming enabled. I have tried it on three different systems, all within my home area. My house, McDonalds and at Disney. I have had a great signal at all places, Disney was 66 up on Wifi.

I can't imagine what is wrong. It's not like it takes a lot of brainpower to download something, click on it, give it the finger and it downloads. It feels like there is some kind of governor throttling me, but all three places have no download limits. Does anyone have any suggestions?

It is a 16 gig model and I have 10 gigs of free space.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Please be gentle with me, I am new to the Apple world. I have been using computers intensely since the 70s and I am 66 years old so I am not a virgin. I am a very serious photographer and a few weeks ago I decided to get the iPhone 6 since I wanted the very best cell phone camera available. I got it last week and I really love it and I am thrilled with the Apple universe. You guys have made great strides in the last 20 years. Here is my problem.

I have downloaded a few small apps with out issue from the Apple app store.
But apps refuse to download completely from the Apple app store. The first one was Asphalt 8. It got about 20% down and then stopped downloading. I left it on overnight to download and nothing more came down. I tried to redownload it a second time but it just reverted to the 20% figure.

So I gave up on it downloaded a few more small apps without issue, then I tried to download Ridiculous Fishing and the same problem occured, this time at about 40 %.

Yes, I have cellular data enabled, yes I have Enable LTE enabled, and yes I have data roaming enabled. I have tried it on three different systems, all within my home area. My house, McDonalds and at Disney. I have had a great signal at all places, Disney was 66 up on Wifi.

I can't imagine what is wrong. It's not like it takes a lot of brainpower to download something, click on it, give it the finger and it downloads. It feels like there is some kind of governor throttling me, but all three places have no download limits. Does anyone have any suggestions?

It is a 16 gig model and I have 10 gigs of free space.

I think there's a limit to app size that can be downloaded over cellular data. There is no limit over wifi, but over cellular I believe it's 100MB or something.

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
Yes there is a size limit on Cellular data I.e. IBooks (before it became permanent)

Also does having data roaming ON have anything to do with it? Have you tried turning it off?

SeilerBird

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
Yes there is a size limit on Cellular data I.e. IBooks (before it became permanent)

Also does having data roaming ON have anything to do with it? Have you tried turning it off?
No, I will try turning it off. I have no idea what it has to do with it, but the button is right underneath the Cellular Data buttons.

----------

I think there's a limit to app size that can be downloaded over cellular data. There is no limit over wifi, but over cellular I believe it's 100MB or something.
I have tried over cell and wifi and it doesn't download on either.

----------

Well lord have mercy. I picked up the phone to turn off data roaming and Ridiculous Fishing had finished downloading and it runs. I guess all I had to do was complain. I will try Asphalt 8 now. Thanks guys.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.