Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vjaaan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
I'm in process of moving all music from previous iPhone 4S to my new iPhone 6. First I want my special-made ringtones. I do not see them listed in my iTunes at all (probably since I created them myself).

How would I copy them from one phone to the other? I tried dragging the music file (mp3) into iTunes, then I clicked File and Create a New Version and AAC. I then changed the name to M4r as my old instructions had said. I put it on desktop and tried dragging it into iTunes. It won't accept it. So I changed name back to m4a and iTunes accepted it. Does this mean I can copy it to phone and it will play?

Also, I want to put all my music on the new phone, but I heard somewhere that iTunes won't transfer any of my music that was not directly purchased through iTunes. I have lots of music from my own CDs etc that I put into iTunes in Playlists.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I'm in process of moving all music from previous iPhone 4S to my new iPhone 6. First I want my special-made ringtones. I do not see them listed in my iTunes at all (probably since I created them myself).

How would I copy them from one phone to the other? I tried dragging the music file (mp3) into iTunes, then I clicked File and Create a New Version and AAC. I then changed the name to M4r as my old instructions had said. I put it on desktop and tried dragging it into iTunes. It won't accept it. So I changed name back to m4a and iTunes accepted it. Does this mean I can copy it to phone and it will play?

Also, I want to put all my music on the new phone, but I heard somewhere that iTunes won't transfer any of my music that was not directly purchased through iTunes. I have lots of music from my own CDs etc that I put into iTunes in Playlists.

Thanks for any help.

did you create them on the 4s

vjaaan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
I originally created them on the computer with the ring tone editing program.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I originally created them on the computer with the ring tone editing program.

ahh you will than need software for transfering from iphone back to PC, if you no longer have those m4r files on a PC somewhere

google around there are several PC programs that let you transfer from phone to PC

vjaaan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
iTunes would not accept the m4r files I made. I had to change them back to m4a.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Just create new ones with the same songs in Garage Band. When you get a new iPhone you get GB.

vjaaan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Interesting idea. I never paid any attention to the garage band before. I will try it. Thanks

vjaaan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Resolved. I finally got my ringtones moved to my iPhone 6. I advice about deleting the m4a files first helped greatly. However, there were so many random problems, it took forever. There were times I knew there were no more m4a files left and still the m4r would not go into iTunes. I messed with it so long, I finally got it to work, but it began to seem so random, since I often could not find anything I was doing wrong.

Anyway, I don't know why all my original ringtones in iTunes became useless from the last time I loaded a new phone. But I have solved my problem and I do thank everyone who offered help. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.