Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Feb 21, 2006, 03:52 PM   #1
imfromthere7
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to imfromthere7
programming in a mac

I just recently got interested in C++ and was wondering what applications would you use to run this programming language. I know that applescript exists but besides that i am unaware of others. Also, does C++ work the same in a mac and in a windows? Are the same commands used?

thank you
imfromthere7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 03:57 PM   #2
balamw

XCode is the Mac programming environment for C, C++ and Objective-C, ... gcc is the engine behind XCode, and is a very portable compiler available on many platforms.

C++ is the same everywhere you go for console/text based programs, but if you want a GUI you need to interface to the right libraries, and this will (generally) be different for Macs and Windows boxes.

B
Old Feb 23, 2006, 09:41 AM   #3
novicew
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfromthere7
I just recently got interested in C++ and was wondering what applications would you use to run this programming language. I know that applescript exists but besides that i am unaware of others. Also, does C++ work the same in a mac and in a windows? Are the same commands used?

thank you
As balamw said XCode2 is the best to start with. When I switched to Mac I had the similar problem to find a GUI. You will find a simple guideline here.

You can also use the Vim editor if you are comfortable with the Terminal. Here is a nother small demonstration.

Sure, you may not be able to use the exact code when programming under OSX but 95% of the time it should work. But I am definitely not an expert.
Hope this helps

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming