Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
I have noticed that a lot of sites are redirecting to the app store for apps as soon as you load the page. For example, MyTiguan redirects a few seconds after finishing loading. The issue happens on the iPad Air 1 (iOS 8), iPad Air 2(iOS 8) and an iPad 1(iOS 5). Other sites also appear to being having this issue.

Could you all report on if it happens to you (here is the website for one of them: http://www.mytiguan.com).

Edit: The issue does not occur when loading the cached version of all of the websites, and the cached versions are around 7 hours old. It appears to be an issue that has affected all version of iPad OS, but doesn't affect iPhones (iOS 8, both mobile and desktop site requests) as well as iMacs. Only iPads. And due to the charred webpages not having the issue, it concludes the issue has started within the last 7 hours.

Last edited:

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
I have noticed that a lot of sites are redirecting to the app store for apps as soon as you load the page. For example, MyTiguan redirects a few seconds after finishing loading. The issue happens on the iPad Air 1 (iOS 8), iPad Air 2(iOS 8) and an iPad 1(iOS 5). Other sites also appear to being having this issue.

Could you all report on if it happens to you (here is the website for one of them: http://www.mytiguan.com).

Edit: The issue does not occur when loading the cached version of all of the websites, and the cached versions are around 7 hours old. It appears to be an issue that has affected all version of iPad OS, but doesn't affect iPhones (iOS 8, both mobile and desktop site requests) as well as iMacs. Only iPads. And due to the charred webpages not having the issue, it concludes the issue has started within the last 7 hours.

Happens to me too. I noticed on other pages also.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Yup it's happened to me several times in the last 2-3 weeks. I just close out the App store app. I've now gone to turning off Javascript.

ApplePhy

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2013
This isn't something new.

It's happened to folks on here for a few months now (myself included)

Don't know the root cause...was hoping the Air2 wouldn't have an issue, but just started happening again last week

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
I haven't ever been on that site http://www.mytiguan.com/, none of my devices did it.. just went on my air 2 on 8.1.1 , Air 1 on 7.1.1 or mini 2 on 8.1

Why not do a full restore without loading the backup?

I'm noticing it on an iPad 1 running iOS 5.1.1, and an iPad Air running iOS 8 and Air 2 running iOS 8 also. None of them are running from a backup of the other, thats not the problem. It appears it is just sites abusing ads so we are forced to see them, then they get a pot o' gold haha

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have noticed that a lot of sites are redirecting to the app store for apps as soon as you load the page.
This is not malware, it's not new, and it's quite common. It's simply JavaScript on those web pages redirecting you to the App Store. On many sites, it only happens on your first visit to the site, because it sets a cookie to indicate it's already happened. As long as you don't clear the cache or the cookie expires, it may not happen again on that site. Other sites redirect on every visit to the site.

Yes, it's annoying. No, it's not malware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.