Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhyno37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Hey guys, so making a long story short I had an iPhone 6 on Verizon. It bent, and shortly after I switched to US Cellular since they offered to buy out my contract and I got 6gb more data for the same price. I went with an Android, and now regret it. I am past my exchange period. That leaves me with buying a phone off contract, new or used.

I don't want another 6 due to obvious reasons. Even if I was one of the unlucky ones, I'd rather wait things out for the 6S. That leaves me with the 5S or 5C (US Cellular never had the 5). I am not sure which is the better choice. It's hard to find used US Cellular phones since its a small carrier. Mint condition 5C usually runs $240 and 5S $350-375. I am also kicking around the idea of just purchasing a new 5S since I am particular, which would be $550.

What do y'all suggest?

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Loved my 5c but the 5s is the better deal right now honestly. I've still got my 5c and I'll still play with it in adoration. However the 5s has the better processor and finger print scanner. Better flash for the camera too.

Really it's your decision but if you plan to keep it awhile, I'd go with the 5s.

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
They're both going to lose value, I don't imagine one will depreciate that much more than the other.

I can, it's all based on demand and seeing as the 5S has touch ID, better flash and 'most importantly' a faster processor it would probably be the more popular choice. And this is not just me speculating, I know people who've struggled to sell their 5C's to get 6/6+'s where as 5S's sell very easily here.

Rhyno37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
I'm selling a 32GB 5C so ... go with the 5C and buy mine. :D

Is it US Cellular? ;)

----------

Seems like 5S is winning the popular vote. Do y'all think I should buy new or used. New would be $550 plus tax, used could be anything depending on price. I found a Space Gray 5S 16gb on eBay for $400, seller claims it is mint condition, only used 10 days comes with all original stuff. Does this seem like a good price?

Like I said, it's hard finding used phones for US Cellular.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I prefer the form factor of the 5c and to be honest, I'm unable to tell the difference in performance in everyday tasks between the 5/5c and 5s with both running iOS 8. The performance disparity might change next year but as you've already mentioned, you plan on getting a 6s next year so iOS 9 performance is moot. I guess it all boils down to whether TouchID and the better camera is worth the extra money for you.

Personally, I'd pony up for the 5s. I find TouchID really convenient, you can likely recover most of the price difference between the 5c/5s if you resell and if you decide not to upgrade, the 5s has better hardware than the 5c.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
How Much?

I think we will get in trouble for conducting "business" in these forums. I dont want to get banned so no price discussions!!!
I can tell you it is 32GB, green, unlocked in great shape as I always used a case. I know, I know - that thing is made of plastic and I used a case. :rolleyes: But I am nutty like that. Want my things in great condition.

----------

Is it US Cellular? ;)

----------

Seems like 5S is winning the popular vote. Do y'all think I should buy new or used. New would be $550 plus tax, used could be anything depending on price. I found a Space Gray 5S 16gb on eBay for $400, seller claims it is mint condition, only used 10 days comes with all original stuff. Does this seem like a good price?

Like I said, it's hard finding used phones for US Cellular.

My 5C is Apple unlocked but not sure if that helps with US Cellular.
As for the $400 price, that seems high but that is just my opinion. The seller can claim they used the phone for 10 days but there is no real way to tell. I would probably not pay more than $350-$375 but maybe I am just cheap.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
I just purchased a 32gb space gray 5s for 386 the other day... I'm actually excited lol

Weiser878

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
5S definitely. The 5C is basically the previous gen hardware, so it will be obsolete that much sooner.

This.

The 5C was the iPhone 5 in a plastic case so they could sell it cheaper. It was already a year old when it came out and the 5S was the new model. Anyone you see with one is basically carrying a sign saying I'm technologically illiterate and know nothing about the products I purchase.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
This.

The 5C was the iPhone 5 in a plastic case so they could sell it cheaper. It was already a year old when it came out and the 5S was the new model. Anyone you see with one is basically carrying a sign saying I'm technologically illiterate and know nothing about the products I purchase.
Or they buy the phones for the pretty colors ;)

Rhyno37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Well I've got a dilemma. For a week now I've been looking closely at eBay, Craigslist, and Swappa for an iPhone 5C/5S. On the rare occasion that a decent condition phone pops up it almost sells immediately or is way overpriced. There's a few iPhones 5Cs for around $240 that might be decent. I'm toying with the idea of just buying a new one.

Straight from US Cellular it'd be $549 + tax, so about $595 said and done. Looking on eBay, I see a few sealed new in box for $499. This seems shady to me. Do they seem legitimate? Would Apple honor the warranty?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPhon...1606115325?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item3398c0f7fd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPhon...1716688614?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item3a9b7bdae6

Also, should I purchase Apple Care?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.