Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Therrion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2014
Hey guys, I'm posting this to let you know what happened to me a few days ago. Basically, I reserved my iPhone for same day pickup from the Bentall Centre, Kingston in UK. At first it seemed like everything was ok, there was this original shrink wrap around it and nothing suspicious came to my attention. However, here is how I know someone owned it previously:

1. When I first pressed the power button, the phone did not boot (no apple logo and around 10s wait) but rather the Hello message appeared right away, so the phone was only sleeping. I thought maybe it just left the factory turned on, no big deal.
2. I checked the Settings - usage - battery usage. It indicated the standby time since last full charge to be 7 hours, with use time at 3 hours. Note: brand new iPhones come with "-" instead of any specific time, and the counts only start after the first full charge.
3. Last and most important - I checked the warranty on the iPhone, using the Apple site and serial number. The warranty lasts for 12 months starting from the activation date. From that I figured that my iPhone was activated on Monday, 3rd of November. I bought it on Tuesday, 4th of November.

Now I think this should never happen and I think it might even be illegal to sell pre-owned items as new. Some people suggested that someone might have bought the phone, played with it and then shrink wrapped it himself. Upon returning to the Apple Store, an employee might have marked it as "closed box" and put it back on sale without knowing it was used. I don't know, but what I know is that when I buy a new product, I want to be sure no one used it before.
I'm quite disappointed with Apple right now.

Thanks for reading.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Hey guys, I'm posting this to let you know what happened to me a few days ago. Basically, I reserved my iPhone for same day pickup from the Bentall Centre, Kingston in UK. At first it seemed like everything was ok, there was this original shrink wrap around it and nothing suspicious came to my attention. However, here is how I know someone owned it previously:

1. When I first pressed the power button, the phone did not boot (no apple logo and around 10s wait) but rather the Hello message appeared right away, so the phone was only sleeping. I thought maybe it just left the factory turned on, no big deal.
2. I checked the Settings - usage - battery usage. It indicated the standby time since last full charge to be 7 hours, with use time at 3 hours. Note: brand new iPhones come with "-" instead of any specific time, and the counts only start after the first full charge.
3. Last and most important - I checked the warranty on the iPhone, using the Apple site and serial number. The warranty lasts for 12 months starting from the activation date. From that I figured that my iPhone was activated on Monday, 3rd of November. I bought it on Tuesday, 4th of November.

Now I think this should never happen and I think it might even be illegal to sell pre-owned items as new. Some people suggested that someone might have bought the phone, played with it and then shrink wrapped it himself. Upon returning to the Apple Store, an employee might have marked it as "closed box" and put it back on sale without knowing it was used. I don't know, but what I know is that when I buy a new product, I want to be sure no one used it before.

Thanks for reading.

My third iPhone 6 was bought in the Brighton store. It was shrink wrapped as normal but the phone had no plastic cover on it - the one we like to peel off. When I registered it online the date was also 3 days before the date I bought/registered it on. The phone was perfect and still is- so I just kept it. Interesting this happened to someone else. I didn't check the usage ether, but I did have to boot it up unlike yours.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I would go back to the store immediately. The discrepancy in the warranty from your receipt is evidence enough that you received a pre-owned phone. When you get the replacement set it up in store to be sure. The risk is low, but if someone went through all the trouble to re-shrink wrap it, they could be up to shenanigans (e.g reporting the phone as stolen, etc).

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
A couple of members actually reported that their new iPhones accidentally activated after ordering and while at factory awaiting shipment. Perhaps this happened to you?

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
A couple of members actually reported that their new iPhones accidentally activated after ordering and while at factory awaiting shipment. Perhaps this happened to you?

Yep, I remember a few people reported similar things listed by the OP when they received the phones even on launch day.

thehulkdan

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2014
UK
The warranty ALWAYS shows the date a day before activation. That's normal. So it saying the 3rd is perfectly normal

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
You are fine. The warranty info is normal. Just enjoy it!

Also, can someone not just return it with 14 days to get their money back? Why shrink wrap it to pretend its "unopened"? Maybe in the UK this return window doesnt work?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Yep, I remember a few people reported similar things listed by the OP when they received the phones even on launch day.

That happened to one of my iPhone yes. The one that was an upgrade came out of the box activated. The other one, a full price out of contract purchase, did not.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

It isn't pre-owned, it's a new phone. Quit freaking out over nothing.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
So I bought a new iPhone 6 from a UK Apple Store and... it was pre-owned and ...

Awhile back (couple years ago) I had went in to purchase a new iPad. Went home with it and it looked used. It didn't smell new and it had finger prints on the screen as if someone had opened it, played with it and then wrapped it up. I was a little upset like you because I wanted "new." I went in to exchange it and they gave me another one, and that one was used as well. No plastic on the iPad, only outside of the box. Finger prints on it too. I just gave in and kept it. Sounds like instead of shipping it back to Apple or whatever the stores are keeping them to resell. I was afraid that would happen to my iPhone 6 plus so I decided to order it online. It came in smelling and looking brand new and it's exactly how I want my purchases to be!

Some of you guys just need to shut it. You have no idea what exactly is going on so stop telling people that they're anal or it's not used. Have nothing nice to say, just get out of here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.