Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Has anyone subscribed to cable or satellite to be able to log into the Apple TV apps without actually wiring the service to the house or using a cable box?

I wouldn't mind if I could find a cheap enough package to add onto my internet service.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
HBOgo and CBS have both announced that next year they'll be offering stand alone packages.

this all happened about a month ago, so i'm guessing others will follow suit, although they may wait to see how those 2 do.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Has anyone subscribed to cable or satellite to be able to log into the Apple TV apps without actually wiring the service to the house or using a cable box?

I wouldn't mind if I could find a cheap enough package to add onto my internet service.

For a full list of what's currently available directly through your Apple TV without subscription to a traditional cable provider see https://www.apple.com/appletv/whats-on/

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
HBOgo and CBS have both announced that next year they'll be offering stand alone packages.

this all happened about a month ago, so i'm guessing others will follow suit, although they may wait to see how those 2 do.

HBO and showtime will offer stand alone service next year. CBS is already live. It's $4.99

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
Thanks, but we've been using the Apple TV for our sole entertainment for two years on all of the TVs. I was thinking about subscribing for History, A&E, and ESPN.
So you want to subscribe to cable just to get the login details to use on apple tv for their apps? If you are going to pay that much money a month, you might as well just get a DVR and get the full experience. You'll be paying a lot of money for a gimped experience and the online streams are not as good quality or stable as cable.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
It doesn't have to be either, or you go the other way and cut the cable entirely and get a media player with a Plex/XBMC front end. You will still received gimped quality TV but at least it will be free from a cable subscription.

You can use your Apple TV if there are some subscription services you want, e.g. NBA League Pass, NFL game pass, or etc in full quality. This might help cut your cable bill in half, add Netflix and you've got an adequate alternative for Showtime movies, and etc if you don't want to be bothered with downloading.

For all your other channels you can either go over the air or the first option with Plex/XBMC in finding IPTV channels that will meet your needs. The biggest drawback with Plex/XBMC channels is that you don't get the replication of a channel surfing experience and it can be a little more painful to find what you want, but most of it IS there.

Last edited:

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
I've yet to not find something I'm looking to watch via "alternate sources". Anything can be found on the internet in high quality these days if you're willing to sail the high seas.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
We kind of did that. We subscribe to the cheapest comcast package just so that we could get the major networks on our Apple TV. We pay for standard definition but they come through on the Apple TV in 1080P:cool: The quality of SD cable is dreadful, so right away we knew we never wanted to use it.

It didn't cost us any more either because we bundled our phone, internet, and cable. The cost of phone and internet was literally the same. The cable providers are desperate to keep you from cutting the cord.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.