Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Alright, folks, this one's a bit out there.

I recently acquired an older Radeon 6450 GPU, and I'm trying to stick it in my Mac Pro 1,1 right now, as I want the graphics card that's in there to go elsewhere. However, unlike NVIDIA cards, it doesn't work out of the box. I've done some research, and it seems like I need to use Framebuffer injection to enable the card to give full QE/CI under OS X Yosemite, but I am unsure of how to do that without a DSDT or bootloader inection. How do I even get my framebuffer? DPCIManager gives me the device ID of 6779 for my 512MB AMD 6450.

I suppose I require some assistance from someone who knows a bit more about this than I do.

Thanks.

-N

Last edited:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Gonna guess you've been researching at hackintosh sites

Framebuffer isnt issue

Device I'd needs to be in drivers

Research 7850 to see what you need to do but likely in different kexts

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Gonna guess you've been researching at hackintosh sites

Framebuffer isnt issue

Device I'd needs to be in drivers

Research 7850 to see what you need to do but likely in different kexts

Yeah, not a ton of people using this card, let alone in an OS X based system that's not a hackintosh. I suppose I can just... whitelist the card with the device ID in the ATI6000Controller.kext?

EDIT:

Alright, crossing my fingers. Unfortunately, messing with the kext unsigned it, so to anyone who's looking to do this, you'll need to enable kext-dev-mode=1 in your nvram boot-args.

Last edited:

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Perfect.

For anyone else looking to do something similar, this was a very easy-to-follow guide.

http://www.hackintoshosx.com/topic/7673-tipskexts-and-deviceids/

Simply edit info.plist inside the kext, insert a new device ID (Use DPCI manager to find Vendor and Device ID, then insert a new device id (0xDeviceIDVendorID). Then reinstall kext as described.

Thanks MVC, I was digging in the wrong places.

EDIT:

Working without device ID injection after 10.10.1 fresh install. Must have had a bum kext.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.