Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Veuxtres

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
hi guys, is my 1st post here,

recently i found that my mbpr ram drop faster than before, after i open a day,
my ram left about 50-100mb (8gb) , is this normal ?
most of the item im just doing some web browsing , youtube and music

how about yours ?

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
It's normal. Use activity monitor and istat do monitor your real ram usage.
Istat will give it in % activity monitor in colors green, yellow and red.

johngwheeler

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2010
I come from a land down-under...
Focus on Swap used rather than free RAM

Don't stress about the amount of free (unused) RAM you have. Mac OS X, and other Unix/Linux-based operating systems - and Windows to an extent - tend to use as much free RAM as is available for file caches in order to speed up the performance of running applications, or to keep state of recently closed apps in memory (in case you decide to open them again).

Free RAM is essentially "wasted", because it's its not helping your system run. A lot of people fail to understand this, thinking it somehow akin to "money in the bank". Mac OS X will automatically decrease file caches of infrequently used apps if you open more apps that need the memory.

The thing you need to look at is whether you are using significant (> 100MB) of Swap space. This is application data that has been copied out of RAM (very fast) to your local storage (relatively slow for SSD, extremely slow for HDD!). Mac OS X compressed memory is a sort of waiting room for resources that would otherwise be paged out to disk. I don't worry about a couple of GB of compressed memory, but I do try to minimise the use of Swap space - this is what really kills performance.

HTH,

John

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Starting with Mavericks 10.9, memory management changed significantly. As the other poster said, free RAM is wasted RAM. If an application needs more, it can be allocated out of the file cache that now normally uses remaining space. It'll be normal from 10.9 forward for there to be very little free space.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
I've never looked or cared, actaully. I have 16GB RAM and loads of free space on my SSD (500GB free out of 768). I mostly surf (Safari), but I also use Aperture, Photoshop and some drawing/drafting programs.

Is your machine slowing down?

Dsching

Suspended
Sep 11, 2014
There are a lof of RAM threads on here. What would be the point of this one?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Explaining

There are a lof of RAM threads on here. What would be the point of this one?

there are and this question comes up every few days but it seems explaining RAM use in OSX is a neverending job for those on MacRumours..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.