Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isotop235

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
I have a registered version of MS Office on my new Macbook Air. Every once in a while I open the program and the dictionary and spellcheck is set to German. This is only occurring within that program and not in another applications. I have checked and rechecked but I only seem to have a custom dictionary with a .dic file handle. This getting aggravating.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I've had that happen myself. It seems to be triggered when I type something in German. The OS X system auto-senses a different language being typed, and can auto-switch to the spell checker for that language. I don't know exactly how that works, but I have seen it happen on my own Mac.
I THINK you can turn it off in the Keyboard pref pane in System Preferences. Click on the Text tab, then change "Spelling: Automatic by Language" to your usual language.

If that doesn't change anything about how Word works for you (MS Word tends to bypass system settings :D ), then check in Word/Tools menu/Language, or Dictionary.
You can also look in Word help for "Change the default language for the spelling checker"
That last looks like it should apply directly to your situation.

isotop235

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
Thanks, I am glad I am not the only one having this issue. I haven't typed in German, the entire article I am working on was showing the red highlights for misspelling from the get go. I have a paper due before Monday...so by midnight...if this doesn't work I will have to invade Poland.

onekerato

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2011
Recently had this issue in Word 2011 for Mac when creating documents from a specific template. To fix it, I selected all text (CMD A), then go to Tools > Language, and change it to English. The non-obvious part is that this command works only on the selected text, not the entire document.

isotop235

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
Thanks. This issue vexes me. The entire document creation is a nightmare now.

onekerato

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2011
The entire document creation is a nightmare now.

Check if the "normal" style is configured correctly. Apparently, every style in Microsoft Word has a "language" too. So if you modify the normal style to English and select "Add to template", it might also fix all your new documents.

manusis

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2014
about word language

According to new update of word language automatic set...with different fonts.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote above:
[[ This issue vexes me. The entire document creation is a nightmare now. ]]

What I regularly do is use the freeware app "Monolingual" to "strip out" ALL languages from my OS and apps -except for- English.

On a fresh installation of OS X, this amounts to over a gigabyte of useless data.

Works for me...

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
OP wrote above:
[[ This issue vexes me. The entire document creation is a nightmare now. ]]

What I regularly do is use the freeware app "Monolingual" to "strip out" ALL languages from my OS and apps -except for- English.

On a fresh installation of OS X, this amounts to over a gigabyte of useless data.

Works for me...

Surprisingly, that likely won't affect the OP's question, as the various foreign language MS Office spell checkers do not include language support .lproj files that Monolingual removes.
In addition, Office can be crippled by choosing to remove the .lproj files - requiring that Office be reinstalled to put those language support files back in place. I always skip removing languages from Office because of problems I have had in the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.