Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I searched, but the words light, lightbulb, etc all are too common I think. I'm interested to hear from anyone with a Bluetooth or wifi controlled light bulb. I'm thinking of getting something relatively inexpensive, hoping for something that would maybe automatically come on when I get close enough with my phone.

But really use wondering what options are out there and how well they work.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Phillips hue. Pretty expensive but you do get a lot for what you pay.

The Hue sounds/looks great, just more than I need and more than I hope to spend.

I have a WeMo switch that I use to control the lights in my apartment. Love it.

This is what I was leaning towards, the lights and switches, everything looks great. I love the motion detector part of it to. Do you have just a switch? I'm wondering how well they all integrate together if you have multiple switches and lights? Will one switch or event trigger multiple events with multiple devices?

cliegal

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
I use Philips Hue as well. Expensive set up at first but worth it for me because it just works. I've had problems with WeMo switches and can't install the outlets or light switches in my older home due to wiring.

Philips now has Lux Starter Kits with bulbs that can't change color for under 100. The bulbs are under 30 each for extras too. It's just the easiest system to use and works well with IFTTT too.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I use Philips Hue as well. Expensive set up at first but worth it for me because it just works. I've had problems with WeMo switches and can't install the outlets or light switches in my older home due to wiring.

Philips now has Lux Starter Kits with bulbs that can't change color for under 100. The bulbs are under 30 each for extras too. It's just the easiest system to use and works well with IFTTT too.

I hadn't seen this, thanks. That might be perfect. Great price, love the ITTT Hue channel, seems like such a cool idea. Might have to go this route. Wonder if there will be any Black Friday deals?

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
the cheapest way is to get the GE wink bulbs. they are only 15.00 each at home depo. the hue are nice but only in you want the colors. otherwise they are too expensive.
though the wink hub is flaky. I use the smart things hub and it really lets me program things well. it will also control my hue lights it has a much better setup for programming then any app I have found.
so you have to decide if you just want a lamp to come on the wemo is not bad. it is 50.00 if you need a bulb to come on in a regular light fixture the wink setup costs the least.
I pretty much have all my lights changed over to the wink and the hue. I use the smart things hub and the lights turn on when nI come up and the doors unlock when I leave they lock and the lights go off. one click at night and most of the rights go off and the doors lock when I crawl in bed another click and everything goes off but a nightlight I have set.
I have lights that come on at sunrise (30 minutes after) and come on at sunset. when I leave the doors lock as my wife likes them locked when I am gone when she lives they lock and the lights go out.
this is the controller I use.
http://www.amazon.com/SmartThings-S...?ie=UTF8&qid=1416195328&sr=8-12&keywords=wink

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
I have both a wemo and wink hub/ge bulb. I like the fact that the wink/ge combo can be dimmed while the wemo is just on/off. The scheduling for the wemo is better in my opinion.

I think it really depends on if you want to expand or if you are wanting to include other home automation products, if yes I would recommend the wink hub (or similar hub). Interestingly enough Target has a special going on with the wink hub and ge bulbs (and a few other compatible products), buy one get one 50% off.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I have both a wemo and wink hub/ge bulb. I like the fact that the wink/ge combo can be dimmed while the wemo is just on/off. The scheduling for the wemo is better in my opinion.

I think it really depends on if you want to expand or if you are wanting to include other home automation products, if yes I would recommend the wink hub (or similar hub). Interestingly enough Target has a special going on with the wink hub and ge bulbs (and a few other compatible products), buy one get one 50% off.

the wink hub is cheap and I tired it. but it was ok till lI got locks then it crapped out and a new one had issues. it was limited on programming but did more the the memo at least the basic one did.
home automation is so cheap. like when someone knocks we get a much notification so my wife down to worry about missing someone. the doors beep when someone comes in. I just hooked up a temp sensor so when the temp goes below 31 the heater tape for the pipes come on.
I had one bad wink bulb but it that was easy to take care of at home depot.
the smart things hub gets me better programming for the hue lights off the regular on and off and color changes.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Thanks. Definitely a lot more to think about now. Wanted to do this on the cheap, looks easy to start going overboard on.

Pat too

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
I think some of you guys are talking about the Belkin Wemo Switch, which plugs into the wall socket to control, for example a table lamp. What about the Wemo LED bulbs and hub kit that's been available in the US for a couple of months? The Philips are only available in Edison screw fittings, which aren't very common for ceiling rose pendants here in the UK, so an adaptor is required. The Belkin LEDs, however, will have bayonet versions available so will be a lot more convenient for UK users.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I think some of you guys are talking about the Belkin Wemo Switch, which plugs into the wall socket to control, for example a table lamp. What about the Wemo LED bulbs and hub kit that's been available in the US for a couple of months? The Philips are only available in Edison screw fittings, which aren't very common for ceiling rose pendants here in the UK, so an adaptor is required. The Belkin LEDs, however, will have bayonet versions available so will be a lot more convenient for UK users.

The Wemo LED Bulbs are what I was thinking about, but I thought I'd integrate some other Wemo devices as well if they worked well together.

And there's a Wemo Crock Pot! How could you choose anything else:D

Pat too

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
Just received my Wemo LED Starter Kit, UK version with bayonet fittings. Let's hope that the pre-requisite firmware upgrade doesn't bork my home automation dreams and leave me in the dark...

34ya4iu.jpg

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Just received my Wemo LED Starter Kit, UK version with bayonet fittings. Let's hope that the pre-requisite firmware upgrade doesn't bork my home automation dreams and leave me in the dark...

Let me know how you end up liking it

Pat too

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
I'm enjoying the Belkin LEDs so far but there are few niggles with the app, like it occasionally take 2 or more seconds for the app to recognize/re-connect the LEDs but in general they've been pretty good. There's no built-in geo-fencing function like on the Philips but the Belkin can achieve a similar effect by using IFTT, so it will turn on lights using your iPhone location. I would actually prefer it if Belkin introduced an outdoor PIR, so that visitors - welcome or otherwise, could trigger a set of lights from outside the house.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.