Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael16574

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
I guess I should first make a quick summary of my background...
I am currently a college student in a music conservatory that will hopefully enter the film music industry in the future.
The programs I use on a daily basis is Sibelius (composition software) and virtual instruments in Logic Pro X to produce my music when I don't have people to play it. Furthermore I do game here and there on the fly with my friends a tad, though this is not a priority.
The current issue that I have is as follows;
I am going to be building an hackintosh with superior upgradibility for my major music production needs in the future, looking at a possible 8+ years of use. I have been using a macbook unibody late 2008 model from then until now. I had wanted to continue using it for 4 for four more years however I screwed the motherboard when I attempted to reapply the heat paste. Not terribly upset since I wringed a great 6 years out of the machine until my screw up. However now that I have to buy a new computer there is going to be a severe overlap issue with my devices. I had bought an iPad recently and that serves me very well in terms of portability access. The only thing it can't really do is intensive games and convenient composition and music production..however if I get an macbook it might make my iPad relatively obsolete and a waste of money if I'm going for a portability device.
What model of macbook would you recommend between my iPad and powerhouse hackintosh with my usage in mind?

Thanks!

jdphoto

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
I'd say either a 15" or 13" rMBP depending on your budget. If you have the money the 15" is pretty powerful and would allow you to do some of your music work away from your desk and still offer a pretty good differentiation from your iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.