Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What should I do?

• Yes, keep the 2-year Accidental Damage From Handling Plan.

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • No, Return it, an extended warranty seems like it would be unnecessary to you.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • I just want to see the vote results.

Votes: 12 35.3%

• Total voters

AppleGoat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2010
Sorry for the suggestive title but I'm sure it drew attention to this thread.

On Friday, I got a great deal at Best Buy on a mid-2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro (base model). I paid $1569.99 before tax for the computer, bear in mind this is new in box. I have yet to receive it but I'm wondering if I should return the protection I got on the computer. I work for the company so I got a nice discount on the protection. Nonetheless, I'm ever wary of extended warranties. I got the Accidental Damage from Handling plan for two years. Cost me about $130.

I have a fairly good history with my Macs. I never had AppleCare (or anything) for my current three-and-a-half year old MacBook and did not have a problem with it. My old PowerBook, I, at one point, spilled a little bit of water on it towards the end of its long life with me but it only made the keyboard semi-dysfunctional which I later had replaced by a third party.

Would you guys keep the protection at that price. Keep in mind, it's either this or nothing. I have no intention of getting AppleCare if I return this protection.

Thanks in advance!

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I do not live in the US.
My macbook and dslr are both insured against theft and accidental damage for 4 years.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I've seen people in Best Buy after their MBP got either damaged or beyond repair. It sounds like a great deal. Your MBP breaks = get a new one. With AppleCare you aren't guaranteed a new MBP. I had several problems with my MBP and after several trips they gave me a refurbish Mac which I had to return to the store twice for repairs. So go with the BB warrantee if that's what you have. Either way you are covered.

AppleGoat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2010
Thanks everyone who voted and offered constructive feedback. Seems like it is a good idea to keep the coverage. What's nice is that they would even replace a broken MagSafe Connector under this plan. I broke the one that came with my current machine within the first two years (if I'm not mistaken). The replacement one has been going strong for longer but it's nice to know I'll have coverage for that somewhat delicate component.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
I've seen people in Best Buy after their MBP got either damaged or beyond repair. It sounds like a great deal. Your MBP breaks = get a new one. With AppleCare you aren't guaranteed a new MBP. I had several problems with my MBP and after several trips they gave me a refurbish Mac which I had to return to the store twice for repairs. So go with the BB warrantee if that's what you have. Either way you are covered.

Odd. They gave me a brand new (sealed retail box) 2014 rMBP (specs below) to replace my 2012 rMBP that they couldn't fix. I'm very surprised they gave you a refurbished Mac on AppleCare as that isn't normally their policy.

DUDEMANGUY5

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
$1569? How'd you go about getting that good of a deal?

And yes, I do have the Geek Squad protection on my MacBooks as well. It gets a lot of stress off of my shoulders.

DUDEMANGUY5

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
On Friday, I got a great deal at Best Buy on a mid-2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro (base model). I paid $1569.99 before tax for the computer, bear in mind this is new in box. I have yet to receive it but I'm wondering if I should return the protection I got on the computer. I work for the company so I got a nice discount on the protection. Nonetheless, I'm ever wary of extended warranties. I got the Accidental Damage from Handling plan for two years. Cost me about $130.

Also, at least the 2-year GSP is renewable. I got the 2 year on the MacBook air and the MacBook pro because the 3 year is astronomically more expensive. And heck, at the very least it could get junked out and you get the newer model in that 2 year frame

jdphoto

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
I always get some form of protection on my Mac purchases. Usually in the form of Apple Care, but your 2 year for $130 sounds like a great deal too.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
$1569? How'd you go about getting that good of a deal?

And yes, I do have the Geek Squad protection on my MacBooks as well. It gets a lot of stress off of my shoulders.

I would like to know as well. Just got a few days ago a MacBook Pro 15 inch mid 2014 16 GB ram Iris Pro only, 256 SSD and a 4 year warranty (1 yr extended from Peach) from "Peach Apple store" for $1,799.99, and today it lists at $ 1,899.99. I checked each day and never saw it at OP's low price

DUDEMANGUY5

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
I would like to know as well. Just got a few days ago a MacBook Pro 15 inch mid 2014 16 GB ram Iris Pro only, 256 SSD and a 4 year warranty (1 yr extended from Peach) from "Peach Apple store" for $1,799.99, and today it lists at $ 1,899.99. I checked each day and never saw it at OP's low price

I got an open box last week for $1400 but new in box for $1569 is a heck of a deal

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
If I was buying macbooks on my own dime then yes the one thing I likely would grab would be some sort of accidental damage cover (provided the terms werent so onerous that I had next to no chance of actually claiming it)

That said I've never managed to break one yet, sure plenty of cosmetic dings scratches and dents, but would be a generous policy that covered those.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Do you guys use protection?

No happily married and had the snip years ago!:D

On my iMac yes I got AppleCare as its a pain to repair. On everything else I don't bother. Put the money you would spend on protection (for everything) in a high interest account. Then when something breaks, use those funds to repair or replace. If it doesn't, your quids in.

AppleGoat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2010
Thanks everyone for the input. How I got it so cheap? Well, I owe it to another forum member.

As you guys probably know, last week this computer was on sale for $1799. I went to the post office and picked up a book of mover's coupons. Amongst them was a 10% off at Best Buy coupon. I also registered a .edu e-mail address with Best Buy and got a $50 coupon which I was (rather surprisingly) able to use in conjunction with the other coupon. Thus, it got down to $1570 before tax.

I have full confidence in Apple Refurbs and for the past year have strongly considered buying one, but I never imagined I could get a new-in-box for $130 less.

AppleGoat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2010
In spite of the poll numbers, I returned the coverage. Both of my parents are educators so I'm thinking about getting AppleCare through them sometime before the first year is out. I believe it's like $239 with the education discount. While I don't get accidental damage coverage, I do get a third year of coverage from the people who know the computers the best.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I have never had any protection plan for any of my computers and never felt the need for one.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I always get AppleCare. I have used it on three of my family's past Apple products. Pays for itself if there is anything major wrong after the first year. As to accidental damage, I am very careful with my tech and always carry it in cases and use screen protectors and such. So I don't buy it. (I do make sure my home insurance covers it for theft, though.) But, if you are prone to accidents and have a history of thrashing tech, then keep it. Good deal on the MBP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.