Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Damodici

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2014
I believe this may sound like a stupid question but I've trawled the Synology forums and can't seem to find the basic answer.

As I sit here now I have a Synology nas 212j (two bays) and I've currently only got it set up as single bay with a 2tb wd red hd.

when I finally make the plunge and decide which mbpr to buy I'm going to add a 2nd drive of either 2tb or 4tb.

Now this might sound stupid but will the Mac see the synology and installed drives the same as my pc does?

What I mean by that is can the mac write / read the drives exactly as my windows pc does without me having to reformat them?

Or am I going to have to leave one formatted for Windows and one for Mac?

I don't know why but I just had this feeling that macs and Windows pcs view storage different and one may not show up on the other.

It's just networked by the way so I hope I'll still be able to point time machine at it and do everything the same for other bits and pieces

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Synology DSM formats its file systems as ext4. You'll be fine. OS X can either access your shares like they are Windiws shares, or if you have AFP enabled in DSM, via that protocol. Personally I would just use it with the Windows shares setup the way you have it now. That's how my 1812+ is setup, as I have a mix of Windows and OS X in the house, and I have had zero problems in the last two years of having it setup that way.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Synology uses EXT4 for their files which is neither Mac or Windows. However, on the configuration of the Synology under "Control Panel", "File services" you can setup access for both Windows and Mac file services.

Damodici

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2014
Thank you gents, one less problem to worry about.

Now then......iris pro or nvidia :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.