Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wahgnube

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
I'm like a lot of you who are waiting on their Macbook Pros. It's my first Mac, and I'm very excited.

macbook-config.blog.png

Anyway, I've religiously gone through numerous threads on this forum regarding advice and options on buying a bag for it, and I've decided I really like how the Crumpler bags---and the "embarrassment" series in particular look. I just needed some help from you guys on sizing, if you own or know how to go about this.

The dimensions of the MBP are (all numbers in inches): 14.1 x 9.6 x 1.0
The "inner" dimensions of the "considerable" embarrassment: (Conflicting numbers everywhere, ARGGH!! But some smaller than MBP dimensions by a bit.)
The "inner" dimensions of the "dreadful" embarrassment: 14.96 x 9.84 x 1.96

Two questions. a) Are the bags taut, or is there some flexibility in them that I could squeeze it in? Is that a bad thing?

b) I was curious about "height". If the height of your case/inner laptop compartment is 2" and the notebook is 1", will there be (safety) issues that arise out of it not being snugly held in place?

Thanks!

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
I know this isn't one of the responses you're looking for...but have you looked at Booq bags yet?

I bit the bullet and dropped a few (and a few more) extra dollars on our laptop bag from Booq and well...it is niiiiiice. I got a Python pack with a Powersleeve and it is everything they advertise. If you've already looked and I'm just filling space...sorry :eek: .

I liked the fact that they, like others (Crumpler too?) make bags specifically with Apple products in mind.

Congratulations on the MacBook! Thats my next project. ;)

wahgnube

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
cyberddot said:
I know this isn't one of the responses you're looking for...but have you looked at Booq bags yet?

Thanks, but I have already looked into those.

Honestly, I'm a hardcore geek sort who's trying to step a teensy bit out of what would otherwise be ordinary (for me). Under normal circumstances, I'd have picked up a (black) screaming Thinkpad and something like these (obviously black) Booq bags.

I just want to try something different (hence the aluminium laptop and the colourful bag). It has nothing to do with Booq being more expensive. If you have other (a little less professional looking) options, I'd gladly consider them.

Thanks again.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Well I have the moderate embarrassment and I would say there is extra room around my 12'' PB. Not a lot, but enough. I plan on buying the considerable embarrassment once my Macbook Pro arrives. That is if the red one ever comes in stock.

wahgnube

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
Koodauw said:
Well I have the moderate embarrassment and I would say there is extra room around my 12'' PB. Not a lot, but enough. I plan on buying the considerable embarrassment once my Macbook Pro arrives. That is if the red one ever comes in stock.

So you're fairly confident the considerable embarrassment (and I'm drooling over a lime-mid green one here) will fit the Macbook Pro? I only ask because the numbers on the sites don't seem too clear on that.

There seem to be so many stores stocking these bags, I'm sure you'll find the colour scheme you want somewhere :).

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
I've got a cheesy disco which I think will fit, but obviously not sure yet.

Will let you know whenever my mbp finally arrives :)

wahgnube

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
Gordy said:
I've got a cheesy disco which I think will fit, but obviously not sure yet.

Will let you know whenever my mbp finally arrives :)

Please do! :)

wahgnube

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
max_altitude said:
I have a considerable embarrassment which fits my 15'' PB pretty snugly, but there should be just enough room for a MBP.

Cool, I certainly hope you're right. I've seen pictures of the 15" PB in it, and it does seem very snug.

But then again, the MBP is only 0.4 of an inch wider, which is just 0.2" of squeeze-worthy-ness on each side.

:)

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
wahgnube said:
b) I was curious about "height". If the height of your case/inner laptop compartment is 2" and the notebook is 1", will there be (safety) issues that arise out of it not being snugly held in place?
Thanks!

Seems like a good enough excuse to just get 2 MBPs :p

AJBMatrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2006
Athens, Georgia
I got an Incase Large Sling Backpack. I saw one on campus and asked where they got it from. He pulled a 17" PB out of it and I was in love with the Backpack. It is nice and sleek. It looks cool but not like you are headed out on an urban sufari.

wahgnube

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
Blackheart said:
Seems like a good enough excuse to just get 2 MBPs :p

Haha. Would you be willing to sponsor me? :)

(Unrelated: I think the apple pie on your avatar icon is absolutely hilarious!)

wahgnube

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
AJBMatrix said:
I got an Incase Large Sling Backpack. I saw one on campus and asked where they got it from. He pulled a 17" PB out of it and I was in love with the Backpack. It is nice and sleek. It looks cool but not like you are headed out on an urban sufari.

Their primary web site seems to be down, but is this the product you were mentioning?

Thanks, but I am (for no real reason) trying to avoid plain-black and am looking for a bag to replace an existing black/dark grey backpack one I own.

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
wahgnube said:
Haha. Would you be willing to sponsor me? :)

(Unrelated: I think the apple pie on your avatar icon is absolutely hilarious!)

Sorry, I'm still saving for my MBP!

(Unrelated: Thanks!)

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I got the Booq BP3 system and have their macbook sleeve on order. Even without the sleeve, the backpack's soft lining is really nice. It has a lot of room for my macbook and my books for class as well.

wahgnube

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
matperk said:
I got the Booq BP3 system and have their macbook sleeve on order. Even without the sleeve, the backpack's soft lining is really nice. It has a lot of room for my macbook and my books for class as well.

That does sound excellent, but do they have bags/backpacks that aren't in black?

I am just looking for something different.

wahgnube

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
Gordy said:
Took some pics of the crumpler before the mbp arrives (yes I'm bored of waiting :D)

It comes with a little inner case that is removable which is good.

Cool. Could you tell me:
a. What model/size it is?
b. Whether it fits your Macbook Pro once it gets there? :)

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
wahgnube said:
Cool, I certainly hope you're right. I've seen pictures of the 15" PB in it, and it does seem very snug.

But then again, the MBP is only 0.4 of an inch wider, which is just 0.2" of squeeze-worthy-ness on each side.

:)

Which is 0.4mm.. quite a lot actually if it was THAT snug.

Besides you certainly don't want to warp your MBP. ;)

wahgnube

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
generik said:
Besides you certainly don't want to warp your MBP. ;)

Great, I was this close to buying that (potentially) smaller bag. Now I'm all worried about it warping. :eek:

Bunsen Burner

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
I've been using one of these to secure my PB G4. It and my other junk get tossed into one of these.

RadTech says MBP Rebounds are just around the corner...

BB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.