Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Recently my Microsoft laser mouse 8000 started showing it's age. Keys not working correctly and general instability. I program and use three mouse buttons in addition to the two standard click keys and scroll wheel. Microsoft no longer makes the Laser Mouse 8000, and resellers selling new ones want upwards of $200 for one. So, I started searching the marketplace, and the closest mouse in design that I could find was the Logitech Performance Mouse MX. This is a wireless mouse, but not a BT mouse. It works with what Logitech calls a Unifying Receiver (It's a small USB Dongle) that's not compatible with BT.

I've been using it for 4 days now, and must say, I'm impressed. Everything works just the way it should, and there are four programmable buttons that are easy to program with Logitech's software. The feel is very good, and all the buttons are easy to reach. Logitech says it works on glass, though I have not tried that.

The only downside I found is, the range from the dongle to the mouse is not very far. My Mac is on the left side of my monitor on a small stand, and my mouse pad is on the right. With the dongle mounted in a front USB slot the mouse pointer was erratic and jerky. I fixed this problem with a male to female 6' USB cable and now the receiver is 12 to 14" away from the mouse.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've been using Logitech mice for years now, my current one being the Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX, a more compact version of your mouse. It works extremely well on glass, which is how it's used all the time, as my desk is glass. There's definitely something amiss with your range, though. I can easily use my mouse 10-12' away from the computer (although I can't read the screen from that distance!) You should have no problems at all from under 5' away. Perhaps something is causing interference.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
I've been using Logitech mice for years now, my current one being the Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX, a more compact version of your mouse. It works extremely well on glass, which is how it's used all the time, as my desk is glass. There's definitely something amiss with your range, though. I can easily use my mouse 10-12' away from the computer (although I can't read the screen from that distance!) You should have no problems at all from under 5' away. Perhaps something is causing interference.

That's my Mac Pro rodent too and the mouse I like the best - though the Bluetooth razer orichi I use for the MBP isn't far behind apart from the appalling battery life. A pair of 2400ma AA rechargables last me barely two weeks, lucky I have plenty in hand ready to use.

I haven't had any problems with Logitech's receiver in the MP - you may have other 2.4ghz signals interfering like wifi, Bluetooth, video senders, cordless home phones I could go on and on. It's an extremely crowded frequency band!

drac

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2004
New Zealand
If you have a wired apple keyboard just put the unifying receiver into the keyboard. Its always close to the mouse then and works a treat.

ps I use a MX too.

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^I do have a wired keyboard, a Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard. I use it because of the lighted keys and programmable keys. No USB port though.

Lou

s-hatland

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2014
i love mine as well. i bought one for work, too. my computer is in my bedroom and take the mouse with me to bed for a remote, easily 14 feet away. i'm guessing you've got interference somewhere. great mouse though. love the scrolling and programability. battery life is great as well, and when the battery does get to the end of its life, it's just a AA rechargeable. easily replaced.

sirio76

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
With the dongle mounted in a front USB slot the mouse pointer was erratic and jerky.
I was having this problem on my old mac pro sometimes(2.1/1.6.8). For me the problem was not related to distance from the receiver(the distance it's about the same with my new machine). Don't know why but from time to time suddenly it was acting like crap, only way to solve the problem was to power off/on the mouse, then it works again.
Never had this problem on new mac pro even from 3 meters away. BTW it works perfectly also on glass surface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.