Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epichfallen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Hello there,
I've been having some issues with the wifi on my mac. I was unable to connect to any network. I was getting "Connection Timeout" error everytime i tried to connect. When i connect over ethernet there is no problem at all.

I have tried reaching internet from recovery mode but the same problem occurred.

The problem started a couple days ago and i've been trying almost everything i saw from all over the internet.

To let you guys know i've tried:

1. Removing wifi service and adding again
  2. Adding a new location on network pane
  3. Changing the service and preference order
  4. Renewing dhcp
  5. Changing MTU to manual 1453
  6. Reseting routers software and applying setting that apple recommends
  7. Adding google dns
  8. And after all these i did a clean install of OS X Yosemite.

For all my effort i got no luck.

Just today i experienced something odd. First i tried to create a wifi hotspot from my mac. I was going to stream the internet i get from ethernet and share it using wifi. I set up the connection but i was unable to join the network from any device.

Another odd thing happened too. My computer was standing about 2 cm far to my modem. I got a wifi connection when this close up. The RSSI rate was -10. At this point i could join internet. But when i pull my computer just a meter away, internet connection goes away but the wifi connection stays still with RSSI -50's.

I'm now wondering if there is a problem with the antenna or with airport card.

Waiting for your thoughts... Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.