Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
As the topic states, will the iPhone 6 survive a fall on carpet? Is it possible for it to damage anything internally? Have any of you had personal experiences where you accidentally dropped the phone on carpet?

ame8199

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2011
.....are you planning on dropping it on carpet? Ive dropped my phone on carpet and it's been fine. Its falling off my couch and been fine...

Ive dropped it in a parking lot as well and its been fine.

I think it depends on how high, and where exactly it lands on impact.

That being said, My phones are in cases, not heavy duty cases, but cases.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Kind of an odd question. Generally you should avoid dropping your phone on any surface, just to be safe. No one can really make any guarantees about what will or won't damage your phone. There are too many factors to account for.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Not really, I mean it would ease a lot of anxiety knowing that it is less likely to break if dropped on carpets, if I lived in a carpeted house or worked at a carpeted office, etc.

Obviously it could hurt the phone - obviously it is one of the better surfaces for a drop to occur...

Random question I think - IMHO

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
I have a Spigen Neo Hybrid and dropped the i6 ~10 times now onto an old oriental rug over hardwood with no damage whatsoever. I'd be surprised if there would be any difference without the case.

So, imo, buy one and drop away!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I dropped mine twice within 5 minutes on the bathroom floor the other day and it survived without scratches or anything.

GoSh4rks

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
You can drop iPhones onto concrete too and they'll survive just fine.

From a height of 1mm :p

BensonTT

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Seriously, some of these threads on this forum is so stupid.. What's next? Dropping phone in toilet ok?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Actually, even a soft drop onto a well-padded rug can destroy very important electrical shielding inside the phone. This will expose you to extremely harmful EM radiation that can cause cancer, seizures, and other serious health threats. If you contact me by PM, I'll send you my mailing address. If you ship the phone to me, with a $25 check to cover costs, I'll arrange for the secure disposal of your phone.

Stevessvt

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
I think since its all solid state parts, its pretty much check all the functions after the incident, if it all checks out, you should be safe.

CoilTap

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
I think you should probably focus on "don't drop your iPhone" rather than what materials on which to drop it.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
As the topic states, will the iPhone 6 survive a fall on carpet? Is it possible for it to damage anything internally? Have any of you had personal experiences where you accidentally dropped the phone on carpet?

Unlike a number of other respondents here, I don't think this is necessarily a stupid question… I have wondered similarly myself. Given that carpet falls are unlikely to result in cosmetic damage (aluminium is harder than carpet fibres), thoughts turn to how much potential damage could occur within the device instead, from the impact.

I have accidentally dropped various iPhones i've owned on carpet and they all appear to have been OK afterwards. However, they've nearly always been inside a case (typically an Apple bumper or Apple shell case). I'm very careful with my possessions, but accidents happen (also, my 1 ½ year old daughter is keen on ensuring that my iPhone is always returned to me whenever I leave it elsewhere… so — Murphy's Law!)

Of particular concern to me has been whether the lens elements can sustain damage or misalignment when subjected to low-speed & relatively short distance drops onto carpeted surfaces.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.