Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

had0ukenn

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
I'm looking to exchange the optical cd/dvd drive with my stock hdd that I replaced with my ssd. I found many different hdd caddys like the OWS data doubler ($35) and some other ones on Amazon for a lot less. Is there a real difference between the hdd caddys?? Is there one known to be more reliable and better than the other? I heard something about how some caddys may ruin the ribbon near the optical drive, any recommendations from early 2011 13" users? Thanks.

Mbp 13" early 2011 Mavericks - samsung 840 pro ssd in main drive

had0ukenn

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
I don't think there is. I bought on on eBay for $12 and it worked fine.

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I'm thinking, there couldn't be much of a difference could there?

I noticed that the data doublers are just made up of the caddy itself and the little data board chip.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
Thanks for the reply. Thats what I'm thinking, there couldn't be much of a difference could there?

I noticed that the data doublers are just made up of the caddy itself and the little data board chip.

To me, as long as it worked. There's not much technology to it. Just the HD connection and the connection for the cable. The cable from the optical drive to the motherboard is removable and reused on the caddy.

You can also buy a USB housing for the optical drive and use it an an external drive. I think I recall I bought both for about $15 from the same seller on eBay.

Here's a cheap caddy, under $6!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2nd-9-5mm-S...5?pt=US_Drive_Bay_Caddies&hash=item4ad8bd4efd

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.