Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in May, Brazilian teenager Marcel Fernandes Filho used Fleksy's predictive keyboard for Android on a Samsung Galaxy S4 to set a new world record of 18.19 seconds for the fastest typing of a text message on a touch-screen mobile phone. Filho's record was certified by the Guinness Book of World Records and required him to type Guinness' standard test message:
The razor-toothed piranhas of the genera Serrasalmus and Pygocentrus are the most ferocious freshwater fish in the world. In reality they seldom attack a human.
With Fleksy now available for iOS, Filho and Fleksy gave the record another try earlier this month, and Filho came through with a new record of 17.00 seconds using Fleksy on an iPhone 6 Plus.
"We're very proud of Fleksy's involvement in helping Marcel achieve this impressive feat," said Ioannis Verdelis, Fleksy co-founder and COO. "The speed and accuracy Fleksy provides have yet again proven world-class."
Fleksy is just one of a number of third-party keyboards that have launched for iOS, taking advantage of new APIs in iOS 8 to allow such keyboards. Many of the new keyboards offer predictive word suggestions and gesture support for faster typing, while others have more specialized uses. Apple has also enhanced its own built-in keyboard with QuickType predictive text in iOS 8.

With Fleksy's success on iOS at a $0.99 price point [Direct Link], the company is now seeking to broaden the keyboard's appeal on Android where it first gained traction. As a result, Fleksy is announcing a permanent 50 percent price cut for the Android version of Fleksy, dropping the price from $3.99 to $1.99.

Article Link: Fleksy for iOS Used to Set New World Record for Fastest Touch-Screen Text Message Typing

Last edited:

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I downloaded and tried it on iOS and I found it to be better than swiftkey and swype for my tastes. I just got tired of the poor auto-correct and the bugs associated with third party keyboards. For example, the keyboard just refuses to show up sometimes when using spotlight, which I heavily rely on instead of going through folders looking for apps.

I went back to the default iOS keyboard and haven't looked back. I do think Apple should look at some of the gestures that fleksy uses like the swipe to the left to delete whole words and swipe to the left and hold to erase several words at once faster.

odditie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
I downloaded and tried it on iOS and I found it to be better than swiftkey and swype for my tastes. I just got tired of the poor auto-correct and the bugs associated with third party keyboards. For example, the keyboard just refuses to show up sometimes when using spotlight, which I heavily rely on instead of going through folders looking for apps.

I went back to the default iOS keyboard and haven't looked back. I do think Apple should look at some of the gestures that fleksy uses like the swipe to the left to delete whole words and swipe to the left and hold to erase several words at once faster.

FYI - that was an iOS issue from my understanding. I believe Apple is now (as of 8.1.1) allowing the keyboard to live on the RAM once it is opened so doesn't get bumped off and require reloading and the issues like you mentioned as a result.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
I think the big news here is in the price shifting...
It used to be that a valid argument for the Android platform was that the same apps that were expensive on iOS were cheaper or free on Android, due to the fact that they were "used to free apps" & were thought to be "unwilling to pay as much as iPhone users".
Interesting to see this large departure from that. Lol, they are permanently changing the price of the Android version from four times the price of the iOS version to "only" double it! Wow, seems like a bit of an insult to the platform responsible for their success.

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
If it wasn't so cold where I am, I think I'd be able to beat that time using the stock keyboard iOS keyboard on an iPhone 6 Plus.

I tried Fleksy, and it seems to get in the way. That, or I'm just not used to it enough.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
he may be fast, but he still has the dopiest haircut ever. what is with kids today?!

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
If it wasn't so cold where I am, I think I'd be able to beat that time using the stock keyboard iOS keyboard on an iPhone 6 Plus.

I tried Fleksy, and it seems to get in the way. That, or I'm just not used to it enough.

Go inside and start filming then. Otherwise I'm calling bs

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Well, I did do this a few years ago: http://youtu.be/WVXyVzLjKag

I'd say that I'm in the 16-second range.

I'll give it another shot this weekend. Not a priority since it's just typing we're talking about.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
SwiftKey works better for me. Its swiping is more accurate with my fat fingers. I need to get it back on my phone since 8.1.1 is supposed to fix the issue with 3rd-party keyboards not displaying in certain apps.

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
Fleksy asks for full access. I'll never use a keylogger.

Fortunately Swype doesn't ask for it and I like it very much.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
he may be fast, but he still has the dopiest haircut ever. what is with kids today?!

Better than the haircuts from the 70s.

Sure, he looks like a total idiot, but every generation has had its share of awful styles. Can anyone really explain the popularity of mustaches once upon a time? *Shudder*

KompleX

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2008
Downey, CA
Better than the haircuts from the 70s.

Sure, he looks like a total idiot, but every generation has had its share of awful styles. Can anyone really explain the popularity of mustaches once upon a time? *Shudder*
huh i've seen a lot of kids these days with mustaches. i think the trend is coming back! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.