Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Pay this week continued its retail expansion with the mobile payment service now being adopted by SunTrust bank and Bi-Lo holdings, which manages BI-LO, Harveys, and Winn-Dixie grocery stores. The latter announcement follows our earlier report of Winn-Dixie and BI-LO beginning to go live with Apple Pay support late last week ahead of an official debut, despite not being included on Apple's "Coming later this year" list.

Customers with a SunTrust credit or debit card will be able to add their card to Apple Pay and use it to make purchases at participating retailers. Headquartered in Atlanta, SunTrust bank has 1,497 bank branches across eleven southern states and Washington, D.C.

bilo_apple_pay.jpg
At the same time SunTrust has added Apple Pay support for its card holders, supermarket chain Bi-Lo Holdings also added Apple Pay as a payment option during checkout. Customers who shop at the primarily southeastern supermarkets of BI-LO, Winn-Dixie, and Harveys will be able to use their iPhone 6 of 6 Plus to streamline their grocery purchases.
"Customers want a shopping experience that is convenient, easy and secure, which is why we're so pleased to announce support for Apple Pay," said Bert DuMars, vice president, digital marketing at Bi-Lo Holdings. "Bi-Lo Holdings is prioritizing digital mobile solutions for our customers, and Apple Pay is an exciting first step in our journey."
Apple Pay debuted last month alongside iOS 8.1 and has seen strong adoption in the month following release. According to a recent New York Times report, Apple Pay transactions accounted for 50 percent of recent tap-to-pay purchases at McDonald's and doubled the number of mobile payments processed by Walgreens. Currently, there are almost 40 retailers that officially support Apple Pay, with the number continuing to grow.

Update 9:14 AM: According to Mashable, Associated Food Stores, Shaw's Supermarkets, Jewel-Osco, and Albertson's have also announced Apple Pay support today.

Article Link: SunTrust Bank and BI-LO, Winn-Dixie, Harveys Grocery Stores Add Apple Pay Support [Updated]

joshwenke

Suspended
Mar 26, 2011
I can't wait for this to take off and become widely accepted and used by everyone!

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Apple Pay is a win for all contactless here in the states, more options for all users of NFC.

Now, Disney needs to step up the pace and roll it out in the parks here in FL. Cause I really want to not have to worry about tracking my debit card on my day trips! December can hurry up in this one case :D

TheLisnakFactor

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2012
New York
Other Stores

You know, as awesome as it is that al these big names are adding support - I personally find myself using Apple Pay at stores and places that don't "officially" support it. I'm in NYC and the surrounding areas and it works ShopRite, most vending machines, Sports Authority, most taxis and so on. I find if I just try it before reaching for my wallet, at most places it just works.

The exception being restaurants - those places need a solution because they still want me to hand them a credit card and go scan it and come back - thats way too antiquated at this point.

benweiner

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2014
This is a great thing for everyone! More NFC support is good for iPhone users, Android users (Google Wallet), and everyone's payment security when banks finally go to chip cards.

camsoft

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
Brighton, Sussex, UK.
Do we really need a post on MacRumors for every business that starts using Apple Pay especially as this news only really interests US visitors and there are a lot of international visitors to this site. Maybe these should be on the Blog or Page 2.

Would be nice if the news was about rumours and interesting Apple news.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Do we really need a post on MacRumors for every business that starts using Apple Pay especially as this news only really interests US visitors and there are a lot of international visitors to this site. Maybe these should be on the Blog or Page 2.

WHY NOT? We have to be burdened with Microsoft ads against the Apple Macbook. At least Apple Pay is in favor of Apple users.

J. Jizzle

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2013
U.S.A.
I bet the retailers who signed an agreement for CurrentC have knots in their stomach's now thinking "What have we done?!" Haha! :apple:Pay all the way!!!

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2003

I for one am glad that I saw this news here being a SunTrust account holder.

itr81

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
If they add krogers and publix I think that would almost all the major grocery store chains and that could be the tipping point for customers and hopefully the currentc members.

----------

I keep thinking target will probably jump ship since the new target app accepts apple pay. I think some members of mcx are playing the field. If Apple pay looks like their best bet they will jump ship.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Let's go Kroger (and their subsidiary grocery stores...)!!

Kroger's 50 stores in MI are NFC ready, but Kroger is in a wait and see mode.

My 82-year old mom asks every time she goes if they have it yet and the store folks look at her like she is talking about space probes landing on comets.

Although Kroger and Costco are closer, she's started to shop more at Meijer's because it is taking Apple Pay at both the checkout and the pump and she likes all the security and convenience benefits of AP.)

I don't understand why Costco wouldn't now make the capex to upgrade their pos terminals to nfc (given the upcoming PCI chip changes driving this by October 2015) rather than bleed revenue from (an admittedly small but) growing population of users.

Kroger given that their infrastructure is in place is even more baffling. (Maybe they are worried about losing customer pattern data due to Apple pay anonymity and waiting for apple pay wallet to include store loyalty cards.)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
My 82-year old mom asks every time she goes if they have it yet and the store folks look at her like she is talking about space probes landing on comets.

Like she's talking about exciting and current technology?

I can't tell if you're referring to Philae's landing or if you just happen to have picked something that human kind just did for the first time last week and you think that you picked something from the realm of science fiction.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I bet the retailers who signed an agreement for CurrentC have knots in their stomach's now thinking "What have we done?!" Haha! :apple:Pay all the way!!!

Definitely some CIO and CFO types under pressure from CEO types to write off the sunk cost ... But in companies this size if they write off a half or a million bucks it's nothing but a bit embarrassing. Once somebody can show that there is significant revenue loss, or customer conquest opportunity, due to Apple pay (and the other recently reinvigorated digital wallet schemes) companies will abandon CurrentC (possibly returning later if MCX offers a competitive solution.)

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Like she's talking about exciting and current technology?

I can't tell if you're referring to Philae's landing or if you just happen to have picked something that human kind just did for the first time last week and you think that you picked something from the realm of science fiction.

The former. We've both been following the landing... Can't wait for the science to be presented at the AGS conference next year!

----------

Yes (for those who have AP devices, and shareholders, this is both interesting and useful news.). And such articles are both interesting and can contain rumors.

AndrewWx

Contributor
Feb 10, 2005
Ventura CA
Come on Kroger (Ralphs)

I really hope Kroger (Ralphs here in SoCal) jumps on. It would make my day. Our Ralphs swipers need upgrading so hopefully they will add Apple Pay when they do. Costco would be really nice also.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
You know, as awesome as it is that al these big names are adding support - I personally find myself using Apple Pay at stores and places that don't "officially" support it. I'm in NYC and the surrounding areas and it works ShopRite, most vending machines, Sports Authority, most taxis and so on. I find if I just try it before reaching for my wallet, at most places it just works.

The exception being restaurants - those places need a solution because they still want me to hand them a credit card and go scan it and come back - thats way too antiquated at this point.

Some use the open table app, but its rather small minority so far.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
WHY NOT? We have to be burdened with Microsoft ads against the Apple Macbook. At least Apple Pay is in favor of Apple users.

This post makes no sense and doesn't even attempt to relate the two main ideas.

I completely agree with him. If they do this, we're going to be hearing about it for the next few years. I've never even heard of these companies.

MR's is pretty much posting every time Tim Cook has a bowel movement at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.