Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During today's opening of the Slush 2014 conference, Nokia announced its new N1 tablet, the first device from the Finnish company following the sale of its mobile division to Microsoft. With its aluminum casing, curved styling and 7.9-inch screen, the N1 is a dead ringer for Apple's iPad mini.

N1-mainb.jpg
Powered by Android 5.0 Lollipop and Nokia's Z launcher, the Nokia N1 ships with a 2.3GHz Intel Atom processor, PowerVR GPU, 2GB of RAM and a 7.9-inch Retina-resolution display. Other hardware specs include an 8-megapixel rear camera, a 5-megapixel front camera and connectivity options that include 802.11a/b/g/n/ac and Bluetooth 4.0.

N1-speaker-grill-b.jpg
Similar to Apple's Lightning connector, the N1 includes a reversible USB Type-C connector for charging and syncing. The port is located on the bottom edge of the tablet and is nestled between the tablet's two speaker openings. When it launches next year, the N1 will be available in Lava Grey and Natural Aluminum colors with one storage capacity option of 32GB.

The N1 will ship with Nokia's flavor of Android and the company's branding, but it will be manufactured and distributed by Nokia partner Foxconn. Foxconn will handle support and most other product responsibilities. The N1 will launch first in China in Q1 2015 for $249USD with plans for expansion to other regions.

Nokia is just the latest manufacturer to announce a tablet device that looks remarkably similar to Apple's iOS device lineup. Just weeks ago, Lenovo introduced its S90 tablet that shares a number of design elements with Apple's iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, with Lenovo even using marketing images reminiscent of Apple's advertising.

Article Link: Nokia Unveils Android-Powered N1 Tablet With iPad Mini-Inspired Design

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
"Inspired"? How about blatant clone? **** them. I hope Apple sues. They should. And what losers! You expect this **** in China, but not in the US or EU.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
It's not just the products that look identical in these copies we are seeing, but the photography/design of how they are shown online in pictures/adverts that ALSO copies Apple's design styles.

Extraordinary lack of independent creativity...

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Oh there's a resemblance alright.

I guess that's as close as you can get to a heavily inspired iPad mini with Android running on it, without a physical home button. Its design language does also remind me of the iPhone 6 with the rounded surface.

Doesn't look too bad though.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
but does the browser run smoothly without the constant reloading of tabs? browser crashes? b/c there's times I want to throw my iPad mini retina 2 against a brick wall due to mobile safari.

Chrome works exceptionally well on my android 5.0 running Moto X

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Macrumors anyone? Why do these things continue to penetrate this website?

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Jesus!!! This is insane.

Headphone jack, unlock/lock button, camera... I mean... Wow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 531

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I agree it's design is similar, but I don't see this as a blatant ripoff (ala the Lenovo S90).

It actually looks nice - far nicer than the Nexus 9 from an aesthetics perspective.

Can anyone with experience with the Nokia skin shed some light on how heavily modified this would be? Is it like Touchwiz or Moto?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.