Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikber18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2014
Hi

I've upgraded to 10.10 and now would like to revert to 10.9

I haven't previously downloaded an installer of 10.9 from the app store nor have I setup a time machine backup.

Can you please advise me of where I can find the installer file for Mavericks

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
Hi

I've upgraded to 10.10 and now would like to revert to 10.9

I haven't previously downloaded an installer of 10.9 from the app store nor have I setup a time machine backup.

Can you please advise me of where I can find the installer file for Mavericks
torrent

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Depending on the age of your MBP you may be able to do an internet restore of Mavericks or whichever version your shipped with.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
It is still available to developers through the mac dev center.

You should only get apple system software from apple. Or else you are asking for trouble.

mikber18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2014
I've been able to download a copy of 10.9.4 on a friends Mac. I will try to do Internet restore before attempting to install from an image of the download. Will be in touch if it gives me grief

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Heck, should be able to go into Mac App Store, click on "Purchases" and download the Mavericks installer from there as well.

mikber18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2014
Heck, should be able to go into Mac App Store, click on "Purchases" and download the Mavericks installer from there as well.

Yeah I thought that too but since my mac was shipped with 10.9 I never had the need to download a copy and therefore such thing does not appear in my downloads.

MagicBoy said:
If it shipped with 10.9 then Internet Restore.

I bought the mac just two months ago so it was the last of the ones to be shipped with Mavericks. I will try to do internet restore see if that helps

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
I bought the mac just two months ago so it was the last of the ones to be shipped with Mavericks. I will try to do internet restore see if that helps

Internet restore will absolutely install the version of OS X that shipped with your machine. On my MacBook Pro, it still downloads 10.7.5.

mikber18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2014
When I go to reinstall OSX in recovery.

A window opens

"To set up the installation of OS X 10.10, click to continue"

This suggests that latest version will install instead of the original correct?

How can I therefore install "Original version?"

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
When I go to reinstall OSX in recovery.

A window opens

"To set up the installation of OS X 10.10, click to continue"

This suggests that latest version will install instead of the original correct?

How can I therefore install "Original version?"

Boot holding Cmd + Opt + R, that will force Internet Recovery instead of the local recovery partition.

mikber18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2014
Boot holding Cmd + Opt + R, that will force Internet Recovery instead of the local recovery partition.

So I have been able to start the process but it got stuck for best part of an hour on like 2 percent. The bar was just not moving at all. Any ideas?

mikber18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2014
If your Mac can with Mavericks you should be able to do Internet recovery to Mavericks.

any reason why it would get stuck on 10 percent for best part of 1 hour and half. The mac came with Mavericks so it's completely compatible but the re-download / install just isn't moving.

Am I going wrong somewhere?

I will attempt to do it once again. Maybe I will have more luck this time.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
any reason why it would get stuck on 10 percent for best part of 1 hour and half. The mac came with Mavericks so it's completely compatible but the re-download / install just isn't moving.

How fast is your internet connection in downloading? Wired or wireless?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you continue to have a stalled download - are you using a wireless connection?
That SHOULD work, but you may get better results with an ethernet connection, direct to your router.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
It's a big download, let it sit for a good long while.

Mavericks probably isn't being hosted by the edge servers any more, which might make the download last longer.

As a very long-term Apple user (1977 with Apple II), I am for the first time seriously considering rolling back myself. I probably won't, but it's a possibility this time around, never has been in the past.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here

Internet Recover works (I've used it), but a lot of factors can come into play. Your Internet speed, Apple's servers, slow installation.

I'd leave it alone for a few hours and let it run.

----------

It's a big download, let it sit for a good long while.

Mavericks probably isn't being hosted by the edge servers any more, which might make the download last longer.

As a very long-term Apple user (1977 with Apple II), I am for the first time seriously considering rolling back myself. I probably won't, but it's a possibility this time around, never has been in the past.

That's how I felt. I did downgrade, but may upgrade again later. Yosemite brought so many good advancements, but that interface irks me. It isn't about if I like it or not, but they really dropped the ball on usability IMO.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
Be aware that if you regularly use iCloud and have upgraded to iCloud Drive then it's pointless going back to Mavericks, as you'll lose your iCloud access.

My 2010 Air struggled with Yosemite so I've just done a completely clean install and it seems better. Certainly reclaimed a surprising amount of space!

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
When I tried Internet recovery it would not work at all, just kept looping over and over again back to disk utility. Finally I just made sure everything I needed was backed up and just erased the HDD then did Internet recovery and it was all good. May have to do that OP, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikber18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2014
Internet Recover works (I've used it), but a lot of factors can come into play. Your Internet speed, Apple's servers, slow installation.

I'd leave it alone for a few hours and let it run.

----------

That's how I felt. I did downgrade, but may upgrade again later. Yosemite brought so many good advancements, but that interface irks me. It isn't about if I like it or not, but they really dropped the ball on usability IMO.

Ok in such case I shall leave it alone for a few hours. Go to sleep and wake up in a while to see what the progress is.

----------

When I tried Internet recovery it would not work at all, just kept looping over and over again back to disk utility. Finally I just made sure everything I needed was backed up and just erased the HDD then did Internet recovery and it was all good. May have to do that OP, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Equally I don't mind doing this either becuase I have everything in cloud.

should I give it a try

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Equally I don't mind doing this either becuase I have everything in cloud.

should I give it a try

Same here. Was pretty easy. I think I recall you couldn't revert back to an older OS without wiping the drive, but I didn't mind. Keep us updated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.