Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I am thinking about buying the retina iMac. I would probably get the 256gb ssd, 16gb ram. Is it worth to do the upgrade to the i7 processor? Or the video card? Would be doing everyday tasks, spss (statistical program), surfing the net. I'd also like to put bootcamp and play some games like the Sims 4 on it. Wondering how the video card compares to my PC which has a Sapphire 2GB SA-7850-2GD5-OC-V2 7850-OC PCI-E VGA Card (SI).

jdphoto

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
With what you're doing you'll probably be fine with the i5, but you may want to up the graphics card. The base card in the retina is a bit on the weaker side for powering that display. In another thread a couple users have commented on this referring to what they saw when they got to play the with machine at the Apple Store, though I'm struggling to find the exact link to that thread at the moment.

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
I bought the 8GB i5 plus upgraded graphics. Just seemed like the thing to do because of all those extra pixels.

Upgraded to 24GB Ram after I bought it.

It works very well. I do not game or video edit. The fan has never raised to over the default speed in 3 weeks. It is super quiet, which I love.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.