Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matjamca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
St Helens, Merseyside, England
Hi there,

Since upgrading to Yosemite, my finder window seems to resize on its own.

I click on the finder icon in the dock, then I size the window so it is the shape and size I want.

Great. Closing the window and re-opening it keeps the finder the same shape and size.

However, when I restart my Mac or shut it down the finder window returns to a default size when it comes back on.

I resize the finder so that all of the side bar items are visible. Favourites, Devices and Shared etc. However, when the finder returns to the default size, part of this side bar is cut off. This is really annoying me. My OCD is not being helped at all.

Now comes another problem.

I read online that you can delete the 'com.apple.finder.plist' file to get rid of any bugs in the preference file. However, I can't find this file anywhere on my Mac.

I've followed the folder trail and the file isn't there. I've done a spotlight search and no trace.

Is this file essential? Could the fact it is missing be causing the problem? Do you have any advice on how I can resize my finder window and keep it that way - even after restarting/shutting down the Mac?

Please please help :(

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
It should be under...
Users->(your user name)->Library->Preferences

exactly. and remember, the user folder is hidden by default. try option-clicking the Go menu in the finder, and you can go to your user library.

move that file to the desktop (or trash), reboot. see if that helps.

btw, it does NOT fix the issue for me. and check this forum, there's another thread on the problem with some ideas...

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
Same thing happened to me, both with the betas and the final release. I did report it, but it's still not fixed.

I had the same problem with the beta of Mavericks, but the final fixed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.