Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tLea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2014
New Orleans
I've thoroughly enjoyed my early 2009 Mac Mini, but decided to get a late 2012 i5 before they become collectors' items. I intend to max out the RAM and add an SSD drive and run Yosemite on it. Questions for those who have done this: For best performance, what do I put on the SSD vs the 500GB rotating drive? Should I isolate just the basic OS install on the SSD or should all my apps go on there also? I am considering a 250GB drive - is that large enough? Too large?

Thanks in advance.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
The base OS install uses only around 10-15 GB, so there is plenty of room for applications on the same drive. Most people seem to judge system responsiveness by application launching and booting times, so the SSD should be the boot drive (which also gets the applications). Depending on what you are doing, you can probably put everything but large databases (iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie projects) on the SSD, even if it is a small as 120GB, certainly 250.

One needs to know your current usage to give a complete answer. Even going to "About This Mac" on the Storage page will be important in deciding what size drive to buy and how to divide the content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.