Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmcrutch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I just ordered a 2012 Mac Mini core i5 2.5ghz model with a 500gb hd. I have been reading the tutorials on installing an after-market SSD and using it as the boot drive and to run apps, while using the original 500gb hd for storage.

I know I can handle the install, but my question is from what I've read it sounds like after-market TRIM support has been rendered unusable with Yoseimte, unless you want to disable some security features.

Can anyone advise? Thanks!

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I just ordered a 2012 Mac Mini core i5 2.5ghz model with a 500gb hd. I have been reading the tutorials on installing an after-market SSD and using it as the boot drive and to run apps, while using the original 500gb hd for storage.

I know I can handle the install, but my question is from what I've read it sounds like after-market TRIM support has been rendered unusable with Yoseimte, unless you want to disable some security features.

Some SSDs such as the Intel 530 series and OWC's do not require TRIM.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon

TRIM does a background garbage collection of sectors of deleted files. Since a boot/application drive is mostly read and seldom written the lack of TRIM support won't be that much of an issue.

You can also buy a drive with a Sandforce controller which is designed to be used without TRIM. See http://blog.macsales.com/11051-to-trim-or-not-to-trim-owc-has-the-answer

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
TRIM does a background garbage collection of sectors of deleted files. Since a boot/application drive is mostly read and seldom written the lack of TRIM support won't be that much of an issue.

You can also buy a drive with a Sandforce controller which is designed to be used without TRIM. See http://blog.macsales.com/11051-to-trim-or-not-to-trim-owc-has-the-answer

Is owc the only ssd supplier not requiring trim
how about the SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE1T0 for instance

macaron95

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
there will always be an update for trim enabler as there are so many aftermarket SSD out there, so you don't need to worry

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Is owc the only ssd supplier not requiring trim
how about the SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE1T0 for instance

It depends on the controller used in the SSD, not the SSD supplier. You would have to find the controller used by Samsung. Note that no drive requires TRIM, but that write performance over time will deteriorate without TRIM without a Sandforce controller. Also consider if the drive is used solely for system and application programs very little writing is performed, so TRIM won't make a noticeable difference anyway.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
there will always be an update for trim enabler as there are so many aftermarket SSD out there, so you don't need to worry

Not necessarily. The problem is the use of kext signing in Yosemite and I for one can't see Apple lowering system security to make the small percentage of system tinkerers happy. So now you're talking finding a workaround. That's not always straightforward.

And the logic about because: aftermarket SSD's out there doesn't hold much water as it's not something Apple's ever sold so they could care less about support. It's not part of their ecosystem so it doesn't count..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.