Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is not planning to abandon its now-defunct Mesa, Arizona sapphire facility, reports Bloomberg. The company has told city officials that it remains committed to bringing jobs and manufacturing to Mesa, Arizona, following the bankruptcy that caused hundreds of GT Advanced employees to be laid off.
"They've indicated their commitment to us: They want to repurpose that building and use it again," Mesa City Manager Christopher Brady said in a recent interview. Apple has said it's focused "on preserving jobs in Arizona" and promised to "work with state and local officials as we consider our next steps."
Back in October, Apple confirmed in a statement that it would look for other ways to utilize its Mesa, Arizona facility, stating that it "remained committed to the city" and planned to help GT Advanced employees who had been impacted by the bankruptcy to find new jobs.

Apple initially chose Mesa, Arizona as the site for its sapphire facility after city officials agreed to expedite permitting approvals, build out power infrastructure, and cut property taxes. Apple insisted on 100 percent renewable energy for the facility, which required the city to construct a new power substation.

gtatsapphirefacility.jpg
GT Advanced sapphire facility image via Cult of Mac
Mesa also planned to leverage Apple's presence in the city with the creation of a new technology corridor in the area, with several other companies having already expressed interest in being located near Apple.
"Apple could've invested in a facility literally anywhere in the world," said Mesa Mayor John Giles, who is planning to visit Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, California, to show the city's support. "There's a reason they came here, and none of those reasons have changed."
Apple and GT Advanced reached an agreement to end their partnership back in October, and under the terms of the deal, GT Advanced will wind down operations at the sapphire plant in Arizona before officially closing up shop in December. At the current time, most of the company's employees have already been laid off, while remaining staff cleans and decommissions sapphire furnaces to be sold.

It is unclear how Apple will repurpose the facility, but the company has been working hard to bring more Mac production to the United States. Apple's Mac Pro, released in late 2013, was the first Apple product line to be assembled in the United States as a result of the company's efforts to bring manufacturing jobs back to the country.

Article Link: Apple Plans to Repurpose Mesa, Arizona Sapphire Plant to Preserve Jobs

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
The Mac Pro isn't the first Apple product line to made in the US, or even the first Mac. It seems everyone has forget the 70's and 80's.

Anyway, I see it being converted into possibly making MacBook Pros? Or more Mac Pros? Maybe the iMacs. I say the MacBook Pro since it would make sense to have both their professional lines manufactured in the US.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
so.... essentially if you learn to read behind the propaganda...

Apple bankrupts a company and then takeovers it?

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Anyway, I see it being converted into possibly making MacBook Pros? Or more Mac Pros? Maybe the iMacs. I say the MacBook Pro since it would make sense to have both their professional lines manufactured in the US.

I was just thinking that they need to move notebook manufacturing to the US next. When they announced at WWDC 2013 that *one* of their product manufacturing lines was being moved to the US, I thought that for sure it would be the MacBook Air. Too bad that it'll take some time to "repurpose" the building, because if they were going to manufacture notebooks there, that Retina MacBook Air is just ripe for picking (if it exists!)...

Last edited:

Mashurrab

macrumors regular
May 30, 2014
The Mac Pro isn't the first Apple product line to made in the US, or even the first Mac. It seems everyone has forget the 70's and 80's.

The Mac mini should be the best Mac to be built there.

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007

The Mac Pro isn't manufactured in the US.

It is manufactured elsewhere and then assembled in the US.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012

Or
A couple of slick operators defraud Apple and then skip with inflated stock profits leaving the company to die and Apple to clean up the mess.

It's all on how you choose to look at it.

sailmac

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008

This has been argued before and it still doesn't make sense. There would be no significant upside for Apple if it were to bankrupt GTAT.

Looking forward, it is no huge surprise Apple still finds the location attractive. The tax breaks, infrastructure, etc. that Apple negotiated for didn't evaporate with GTAT's failure.

Will be interesting to see what Apple does with the facility. If not manufacturing, perhaps another data center?

Last edited:

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis

speaking of propaganda......

----------

So does this mean that Apple is officially giving up on sapphire?

It means Apple will buy it from somewhere else the same way they buy gorilla glass now. They didn't want to be in the glass business which is how this whole fiasco started.

aslucher24

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2014

No? What YOU take from everything is what the media tells you.

Meanwhile, Apple is getting something out of a deal THEY FINANCED.

As an Arizona resident, GTAT did not own that property before hand. It was multiple purchases and expansions. Hell APS had to build their power stations for them..... Apple paid for it with the loan and approved the build out. Apple maintained that plant, with GTATs name on it. Just because the terms were tough, doesn't negate that GTAT are supposed to be the "professionals" in the industry and promised a product they couldn't produce. It's just business. A failed one at that. It happens all the time, and now it's because of Apple? It's Apple's fault for their neieve descision?

Realistically it's wonderful to see a company care about its investment here. They've had their chances to build here and chose Texas. I'm glad they have something now!

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
They should just keep the furnaces and make their own sapphire, seems wasteful otherwise.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida

Lol, none of the quotes were from Apple.
Soooo.... unless you believe that the mayor & city manager of Mesa, AZ are either Apple shills or secretly Apple employees, I guess your "propaganda" comment is as ridiculous as it is unfounded.

AppleSOS

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014
Ohio

Temporarily disregarding the fact that the GTAT execs definitely bankrupted their own company (after selling off their stocks of course), Apple paid for that facility, not GT. Also, where are you getting the idea that they took over the company? They are going to use the building they had built for something else. The sapphire equipment is going to be sold by GT and the company is bankrupt and definitely not "taken over by Apple" as you suggest.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
This is like Microsoft in the 80's... Bankrupting companies and taking them over for cheap.

I'm sure we will have tons of Replies from the Apple Defense Force soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.