Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I Can see where this will appeal to android tablet users, and it looks like a great device. The fact that Android tablets are using the 4:3 aspect ratio definitely makes them more attractive to me. As far as it being an iPad killer-I can't see it. The Nexus 9 should be an iPad Air killer, but it just doesn't have the polish of the iPad or iOS, and isn't doing too well.

I'm an Android and Apple user, so I don't have any particular horse in the race.

If anyone kills the mini, it'll be Apple ;-).

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
While that is a good device, if anything has the potential to be called the Mini killer - that is the iPhone Plus series.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
It doesn't have a gps, which I use a lot on the mini, so it won't be replacing my mini retina any time soon.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind if this put some pressure on Apple to give the mini more of a spec bump next time around.

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Until Android tablets get a hell of a lot more tablet-optimized apps, I don't see this or anything else being an iPad "killer," mini or otherwise.

Also, if you live in the Android ecosystem and you have a Nexus 6 or similar, why would you even want a tablet that's only slightly bigger and runs (for the most part) the same phone apps?

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
Really should be compared with an iPad mini2 and in doing recognize there is only a $50. difference.

The Mini2 vs Mini3 is really a joke as the Mini3 is the least upgrade I've ever seen in an Apple product, don't forget the base ram is 32 not 16, so that's worth something..

The N1 has things still not found in the Mini3, USB port, MUCH better cameras, Better WiFi, Compass.

Compared that to the Mini3's "upgrade", this is more of an upgrade. I'd compare it to the Mini4 just for the USB and camera alone.

How many people really consider the Mini3 a worthwhile upgrade? No WiFi upgrade, no base RAM upgrade, no camera upgrade... They didn't mention GPS on either one, so I don't know what to think of that.

Also, the street price might be lower than the MRSP.

----------

Until Android tablets get a hell of a lot more tablet-optimized apps, I don't see this or anything else being an iPad "killer," mini or otherwise.

Also, if you live in the Android ecosystem and you have a Nexus 6 or similar, why would you even want a tablet that's only slightly bigger and runs (for the most part) the same phone apps?

Android does have issues with device optimized apps, but that can change, it'll probably change faster if Android would have more standardized offerings.

As far as the Nexus 6 phone vs slightly bigger tablet, the upside to the mid-sized tablets is that they aren't a phone, no phone contract, much cheaper price. These target businesses that want a portable tablet that the full sized ones don't address. Also, with personal WiFi, making phone calls can be done.

Most don't even use the smart phones for phone calls. Paying for a contract phone doesn't make sense for them. WiFi is getting more popular.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Apple makes boatloads of revenue after they sell the hardware from the app store, as a bonus OS updates are usually good for about three years. Apple's ecosystem is also a fantastic benefit for their client base.

What incentive does Nokia have for updating / patching the device after the initial sale? What's the after the sale service / repair experience like?

This is one reason Android is so fragmented. Lets hope they don't fill it with crapware like Samsung does.

At best it'll be a blip on the already saturated tablet market. Raw specs mean very little compared to the user experience.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
I think the N1 is horrible. I'm not a fan of the Mini because of the size format.

For me, the mini killer was the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4. It is more 'book' size rather than the mini 'magazine' size.

I find it's narrower and easier to hold with one hand than a mini. I also like the speaker placement when using it in landscape mode, there is a left and right speaker in the proper place.

I wanted a tablet that I could carry in my camera bag and travel with also. I found the mini slightly too wide. I can actually fit the Tab S in the breast pocket of some of my jackets!

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/18/7239709/nokia-n1-tablet-price-release-date

According to that statement there are currently no good Android tablets on the market.
, says Brook Eaton, director for Nokia’s Z Launcher.

There are many good android tablets - iphone and ipad killers). for me Note-serie is the ipad killer. if i ever needed to choose between Note and ipad, i would take Note. same with phones, Note or iphone. is N1 a killer or not, it is up to you. and surface pro3 would be the Note killer, if there wouldnt be problems with heat. the device is a killer if you choose it instead of the other one, imo.

and for some one else there are no and there wont be any ipad/iphones killers, ever...

Alex225

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2012
Spec wise it's up there but it runs Android so it won't be as slick or efficient as an iOS device.

This is from having a Nexus tablet and iPads, I just don't have an interest in Android devices and it's not even a brand loyalty thing.

I don't think it's going to knock the iPad Mini down but it does look like a nice device.

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
And Apple is really trying hard with the last so called upgrade:D

Good point, maybe I should have asked if it's an Mini replacement, as Apple already killed the Mini :rolleyes:

From the sounds of the replies, most don't see the tablet as a separate device with it's own usage over the larger phones. I personally see a need for a non-phone, non-iPad full, product with an attractive price point.

One game changer would be true multi tasking like on the WPs, Apple still hasn't got that nailed.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The 4:3 aspect ratio is very appealing (I hate 16:9 on a tablet). Still, most tech people will choose whatever OS they prefer.

As for non-tech people, I can see that winning some because of the cheaper price tag, but Apple still has its brand name which is very valuable and may sway buyers.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
The N1 is clearly targeted towards the Mini and it's a lot cheaper with better camera specs, much more ram, AC WiFi,compass, and microUSB.

Not for sale yet, but this could really change the future of the Mini.

http://www.nirmaltv.com/2014/11/19/nokia-n1-vs-ipad-mini-comparison/

Answer = No

http://bgr.com/2014/11/18/nokia-n1-release-date-specs-android-5-0-lollipop-tablet/
The Nokia N1 tablet will launch this coming February after Chinese New Year, and it will initially be available only in China. Nokia will then launch the tablet in Russia and several European markets in the months that follow, but the company currently has no plans to release the N1 in the United States.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
As long a developers dont care to make tablet apps for android it wont matter.

Thats the point of a tablet, an optimized experience. Not blown up smartphone apps.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Didn't Nokia get bought out by Microsoft and/or go out of business. It's a little too early to start having retro good feelings for them.

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
Didn't Nokia get bought out by Microsoft and/or go out of business. It's a little too early to start having retro good feelings for them.

I understand that Microsoft didn't buy all of Nokia. Don't understand the whole deal, but looks like MS might have just been after the phone stuff or maybe buying market share.

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
Answer = No

http://bgr.com/2014/11/18/nokia-n1-release-date-specs-android-5-0-lollipop-tablet/
The Nokia N1 tablet will launch this coming February after Chinese New Year, and it will initially be available only in China. Nokia will then launch the tablet in Russia and several European markets in the months that follow, but the company currently has no plans to release the N1 in the United States.

It's sad that US won't be in the mix or if it is, it'll be too late.

I can't say that I'm happy about that, but I do understand that the US market is different and most that want a tablet in the US already have one and the US market tends to buy more expensive stuff because it's a richer market.

However, the US is 6% of the worlds population, this is why manufactures look to Asia for growth. Some of these products are more than some peoples monthly gross income. They'd have to save up for a long time to buy one and a few hundred dollars is a lot for them.

Developers will go where the market is, and although the $/Person is in the US, the growth of market isn't here.

This could be a "shot over the bow" for Apple, that they need to look at these things and ask how can a cheaper product have better cameras and USB, memory, etc... And they are going after the one market Apple needs if it's going to grow.

One other issue is that WiFi is a free way to make calls and connect to social media, the "phone" part of the iPhone ups the cost one something that's already expensive for most in Asia.

We probably won't hear much about this here in the states.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.