Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Here's my issue.. I've setup my TC to open ports for XB1. On XB1 it shows NAT Type: Open. However, when I test ports on various websites, it times out or says they're closed. My latency is (last test) 78 ms. I want to drop this as much as possible because it's killing me right now. I'm having huge lag spikes and they aren't anything close to rare. It's often. I'd love to drop sub-50 if possible.

Side note: My ISP is coming to replace a piece of equipment in our area that went down last week. I know that's part of the issue, but I'm not understanding the ports showing closed but the XB1 showing they're open.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
... but I'm not understanding the ports showing closed but the XB1 showing they're open.

This port test wen sites will not show the port open unless there is some service open and running on that port at the time of the test.

For example, I run the torrent app Transmission on port 49697. It I start the app then go to one of those sites and test it will show as open. If I then quit the app and test again it shows as closed.

So you Xbox has services running on those ports is the reason they show open. But your Mac does not have any services running on those ports so they show closed.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
This port test wen sites will not show the port open unless there is some service open and running on that port at the time of the test.

For example, I run the torrent app Transmission on port 49697. It I start the app then go to one of those sites and test it will show as open. If I then quit the app and test again it shows as closed.

So you Xbox has services running on those ports is the reason they show open. But your Mac does not have any services running on those ports so they show closed.

That makes sense then. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.