Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kawalerzysta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
I have decision to make. Probably at the beginning of the next year I will have opportunity to work from home. That means that I am in the need of new computer. Currently I am torn between 2012 base Mac Mini and mid level 2014 Mac Mini. I have late 2013 MacBook Pro and for few reasons would prefer not to use my Macbook. I also hav Win 7 PC (gaming) that sometimes throws tantrums so it is also out, since I will need dependable machine. I was thinking about purchasing 2012 base Mac Mini from BH Photo for $469 which is pretty decent deal since there is no tax. I wold purchase 16 GB of ram to max it out. Our work PCs have 8 gigs of ram and sometimes there are issues with memory (I am not IT, but have feeling that our software is just not optimized - I work for federal govt so that may explain few things). I would leave hard drive as is. I believe that base 2012 Mini with upgraded ram to 16gb would be more than enough. The only worry that I have is HD4000 graphics in 2012 Mini. My work does not involve any graphic work. Outside work I would use it to browse web, watch YouTube, stream Netflix, Amazon prime and every once in a while play Hearthstone. I am going to use two 20 to 23 inch monitors. Is HD4000 good enough for next 3 to 4 years? Midlevel 2014 Mac Mini offers bigger hard drive (don't really care about that) and Iris graphics, but it costs $200 more. For that $200 more I can max out ram and get AppleCare. So would like to ask others on forum who have more experience in that, will 2012 base Mini work well for next 3-4 years, graphic wise.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
I have decision to make. Probably at the beginning of the next year I will have opportunity to work from home. That means that I am in the need of new computer. Currently I am torn between 2012 base Mac Mini and mid level 2014 Mac Mini. I have late 2013 MacBook Pro and for few reasons would prefer not to use my Macbook. I also hav Win 7 PC (gaming) that sometimes throws tantrums so it is also out, since I will need dependable machine. I was thinking about purchasing 2012 base Mac Mini from BH Photo for $469 which is pretty decent deal since there is no tax. I wold purchase 16 GB of ram to max it out. Our work PCs have 8 gigs of ram and sometimes there are issues with memory (I am not IT, but have feeling that our software is just not optimized - I work for federal govt so that may explain few things). I would leave hard drive as is. I believe that base 2012 Mini with upgraded ram to 16gb would be more than enough. The only worry that I have is HD4000 graphics in 2012 Mini. My work does not involve any graphic work. Outside work I would use it to browse web, watch YouTube, stream Netflix, Amazon prime and every once in a while play Hearthstone. I am going to use two 20 to 23 inch monitors. Is HD4000 good enough for next 3 to 4 years? Midlevel 2014 Mac Mini offers bigger hard drive (don't really care about that) and Iris graphics, but it costs $200 more. For that $200 more I can max out ram and get AppleCare. So would like to ask others on forum who have more experience in that, will 2012 base Mini work well for next 3-4 years, graphic wise.

I would buy the 2014 base or mid model before the 2012 base. They should all work well for the next 3-4 years.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil

Graphic wise, a 2014 Mini won't help too. 2015 will be the year for a fully 4K compliant Mini. For $200 or slightly more, get 16GB and a SSD. I'd get Apple Care for a Macbook, but not for a Mini.

kawalerzysta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
Well, I have decided to pull the trigger. I went with the base 2012 Mac Mini. I have installed 16 GB of ram on it. Within next few months will update hard drive to SSD. Maybe will see something on sale on Black Briday. Bought 27 inch Asus display (MX279H). So far everything is good. For my uses should be more than perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.